Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Deposit

Options
  • 08-05-2023 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I paid a deposit on a new Hilux at the beginning of the year. The dealer has now come back saying because the vehicle will not be ready until the 2nd half of the year the manufacturer is increasing the price by €3400. Can anyone advise if by paying the deposit made my contract legally binding? Does the trader have to stick to the original quote?

TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

No chance of getting it at the original price. Dealer may discount very slightly or throw in something.

Look at it this way, if you back out he will sell the car to another person in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭standardg60

Do you have the original price minus deposit and balance due in writing?

Then it's a contract, unless the t&cs say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lehar20

Yes have it in writing and also signed the original quote. The new quote has small print stating the price is subject to change but haven’t signed off on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Dealer recently honoured my pricing despite an increase, same spec was near 2k dearer the following week of placing a deposit. In fact they never mentioned anything at all about the price increasing, or interest rate either which was also given at the lower rate as agreed at time of deposit despite it being higher for months before I took delivery.

I'd push it, if you put a deposit on an agreed price and spec I can't see them being able to just increase the price at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The dealer is selling the car, but they don't set the pricing, so there should be something in the small print saying the price is subject to change pending any manufacturer price increase or Government price changes.

Some manufacturers hold pricing based on when the vehicle was ordered. Some manufacturers will increase the pricing based on what week the vehicle was built, and some manufacturers will increase their prices based on the date of registration.

Toyota are one where the retail price of the vehicle depends on what it is when the vehicle is registered.

It's a total nightmare at the moment, as we've some vehicles turning up that were ordered early 2022 and not only keep that retail price, but discounts and supports that were in place at the time - good for customers who waited, but if they order something new the same day they get the ordered vehicle, there can be a €10,000 + cost difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Casati

Nice one here just only €77k! Anybody else starting to think things are getting a bit out of control?

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/2023-hilux-gr-edition-2-8-d4d-auto-huge-spec/34000793

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is stupid money for what it is, a work vehicle. But we have become so desensitised to high prices that we don't see it anymore.

Another example here, nearly 100k for a Golf R: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0tsi-5dr/33482792

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sligopaul

Agree with Bazz how can 77k for a hilux be anything but ridiculous

Advertisement