Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Lettuce

Options
  • 08-05-2023 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I love fresh lettuce so last year I purchased a propagator to grow it. I put topsoil in the bottom of it and moss peat on top of that. About 4" of it and about 8" of top soil. The lettuce seeds start to grow to about 2-3" and then start withering. What am I doing wrong. The propagator has a clear plastic cover on it with 2 vents.

Post edited by Mach Two on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

Too hot I'd guess. Lettuce likes coolish temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭monseiur

Daily watering is essential especially when undercover

• Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I fired some lettuce seeds into basic soil with a bit of bagged compost mixed in a few weeks ago (a rush of blood to the head on a warm sunny day) and they're at the baby leaf stage now.

They're in a sheltered, south-facing raised bed. I suspect I got lucky, and there were no hard frosts since then - but I have never bothered with the windowsill/propagator/nursing stages, and I've always had more than I can eat from a handful of seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I changed my opening post to 4" of compost. Is the compost too deep?

I use the propagator because of the slugs. Serious problem around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've given up on lettuce and cabbage, the slugs won. Only one I had good luck with was Chinese cabbage as it grows so tightly, but prone to bolting, though thats probably on me!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

I have the legs of my propagator in a bowl of water. One bowl per leg. Slugs are not a problem anymore. Simple solution to a major problem.

Why should it be. The water condenses on the lid and flows back down to the soil.

Advertisement