Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn needs some inputs

Options
  • 08-05-2023 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Lawn was reseeded a year ago with no fertiliser applied.

It has not come well as shown in the photos. What should I be applying to it to being it on?

Do I apply a weedkiller then fertiliser out do I go straight to fertiliser? Can it be done without overseeing more grass seed?

PH on the poor grass is 6. 1 - 6.3. Better area was 6.5.

Some parts are okay others are poor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Not a lawn expert by any means, but a light scarify in some of the 'bald' spots (a wire garden rake would do) along with some overseeding and top dressing may help that.

Soil temps should be good enough for germination, keep moist but not soaked and should see some growth in a week or so.

(As said, not an expert, just fell down a rabbit hole on youtube recently!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭standardg60

Don't see too much evidence of weeds so just apply a good granular fertilizer, you can overseed the barer patches at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Potato Fert & GranLime seems to be the medication required.

I'll give that a go and see what happens.

I've got a Scotts GreenMaster rotary spreader. How do I determine the setting required for the granules? I've got 10-10-20 and gran lime.

What rate should I be applying at and how do I get the conversion from rate to the GreenMaster setting? From reading some Amazon comments, 27 seems to be the ballpark figure to use.

I looked here see that it seems to work out at 27-29 for 35g/m2 - I assume that is based on the size of the granules. If I spread at 27 then it should be okay?

The lawn is getting a hard time from rabbits. I've reseeded part of it that was bare earth, but the seeds have not struck yet. I can see rabbit dung all over the lawn.

Is there any repellent that I can put down to stop them coming onto the lawn. I'm out in the country so there is plenty of grass for them to eat elsewhere. They really are making a hash of the lawn.

Also, I've got some potato fertiliser put spread, but due to the good weather I've been holding off. Should I just spread it anyway and hope that the dew will dissolve it into the soil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I was pestered by rabbits for decades. Tried all the chemical repellents without success. The dog didn't keep them away because she was in her run at night when the rabbits were active. Lawn and flower beds destroyed, tunnels dug in the vegetable patch, seedlings eaten....

I got a few ultrasonic repellents from Amazon a couple of years ago and they have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭standardg60

Apply it, it will dissolve when it dissolves, which it won't in the bag.

The best spreader i've ever and only used is my hand.

Advertisement