Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plant problem

Options
  • 08-05-2023 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Would anyone have any idea what is causing this on tomato plant leaf, it was planted out into greenhouse from window sill about 10 days ago?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks like fungus , perhaps blight, I'd suggest spraying with an antifungal (or potato blight spray - tomatoes and potatoes are related) asap. I'd also cut off the infected foliage and dispose of elsewhere.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

I had the same issue which was caused by Fungus.

I sprayed down the plants with fungusclear which resolved the issue.

i doses the whole plant first. When it dried I removed effected leaves and a week later dosed again. Best to dose the whole plant then just the effected leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

Someone told me they reckoned it was sun/heat damage and I think they are right as it has not spread at all. Am doing a lot more venting now, especially on warmer days

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Is it not early for blight?

I found blight to leave dark patches, not white.

I have a load of tomatoes set both in the greenhouses and hanging baskets. I notice a few of them do have discolouration and withering of leaves, particularly the lower ones.

I carefully removed all the dogy looking foliage last year, but found when I skipped some hanging baskets in the conservatory, they got no worse anyway.

This year I am not bothering!

With a small number though, if I were to select a couple at random, I might think my crop was doomed!

For some reason I seem to have problems with rooting, I'm not sure why but some tomatoes and cucumbers don't really take off like the rest. When I lift them the roots are weak and not plentiful at all.

I simply go to one of the pots that I keep and transplant another tomato or cumber. There are often way too many seeds, so back ups are simple and fairly cost free.

I was hit by blight last year, it was nothing like that and was in August if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There's early and late blight types, in the damp weather we had in the spring conditions have been suitable for it but getting better during the next week.

You can see the Irish blight risk forecast here- https://www.met.ie/forecasts/blight-forecast

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement