Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences of decentralised mechanical ventilation in draughty homes

Options
  • 08-05-2023 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

I have an early 1980s terraced house up for rent. It's comfortable enough, gets a lot of sun, has no mould and isn't especially draughty. It is a privately rented house, but it has been council inspected, and we are now required to install hole-in-the-wall vents, an extractor, and various other changes. I am clued into airtightness, and I detest hole-in-the-wall vents. So I was interested in decentralised mechanical ventilation for the tenant's sake, like Lunos or Quantum HR. A builder we arranged to conduct the renovation can provide the changes, but he is not interested in mechanical ventilation. He argues that its benefit is negated by the overall lack of airtightness in the house design (I dont really believe this as its not a very draughty house and because draughts are cumulative) and that these units would run incessantly, creating noise. Is this correct? I am very noise sensitive so the noise issue would bother me. Maybe a combination of hole-in-the-wall vents and a decentralised unit would work. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

The ones you mentioned -Lunos and Quantum HR, did you see if they are low voltage type? Usually these vent units are low voltage and they are very quiet, hear a very low hum sound from them. I've got low voltage bathroom fan and when it's running just hear a low hum. Although it's best to see on in action first etc, maybe if you can go to the supplier and if they have one wired up in a demo etc.

There was another thread about these fans few years ago here but can't find it now.the poster mentioned they had these and they improved air in each room and we're very quiet.

Btw where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

southeast. We'd be hyper noise sensitive. But your comment is very much appreciated.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"not a very draughty house"

There really only one way of knowing this for sure, get an air tightness test carried out.

"Maybe a combination of hole-in-the-wall vents and a decentralised unit would work. "

Isn't that pretty much what the council have requested?

It needs mechanical extract from wet areas, and it needs background ventilation to habitable rooms, and permanent ventilation to room's with ignition sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I like the idea of this but I cant seem to find prices anywhere in Ireland.

Any idea how much a system like this would cost for a 4 bed bungalow with easy access to the attic.

All rooms have trickle vents which I assume need to be blocked up too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement