Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First cut - griselinia hedge

Options
  • 06-05-2023 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

We had a short hedge put in just over a year ago so spring 2022, didn't get around to any trim last autumn and not sure if I should have ...

Am looking at taking about 20- 30% off it now, is there anything I should avoid doing which might cause more harm than good? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Wait until mid to late July. This video covers cutting a Young Griselinia hedge very well.

How to shape and prune a young Griselinia hedge. How to do first cut - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Almost bombproof. Any cuttings pushed into good garden soil will probably root its that easy to grow.

I'd take the tops out with secateurs now and do a full trim later in the year.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭standardg60

As above I'd wait now, the April/May/June growth period is important for plants to establish and gain strength both above and below ground, you'd basically be cutting off it's process of doing this.

March or late summer is the best time.

Re the video I'd have much preferred to see him angling in the face of the hedge from bottom to top, especially at the back where there's less light, rather than completely vertical.

As for having to do what the owner wants rather than what you know is best, I've been there many times!

Post edited by standardg60 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭mojesius

Hope it's ok to hijack your thread OP. My grisilenia hedge is the same age as yours and I had similar questions :)

Went out to deweed and add fertiliser to hedges today and some of the leaves are black :( Does anyone know what this is? (Image attaching sideways, sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭mojesius

Great thanks

Advertisement