Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees on perimeter getting too high. Solution?

Options
  • 05-05-2023 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi folks. I have a growing problem. Quite literally! My gardens not big and I have a few trees in planted 7 years ago that are becoming an issue re light (for both me and potentially my neighbour at rear though he hasn't mentioned it but I'm concious) and just looking out of place. A few are Acer Campestre and others Tilia Greenspire. They were lovely at about 14 foot but now are gone beyond that.

Can I get a tree surgeon to take down the height or will that damage them? I don't want to have to take them out but maybe I need to?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Both can be cut hard back, what they will look like when they are done depends on the skill of the person doing it and they will not look like young trees again, but they should not be harmed by the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Thank you for the feedback. I will ring around a few tree surgeons so and see. How much would be a ball park to prune 4 trees down I wonder?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

random coincidence, youtube suggested this video to me after i saw this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Thanks and interesting. Thankfully my trees aren't anywhere on that scales but I planted them 7 years ago not foreseeing the size they would be at so quickly. I've read of the negative issues with topping so I'm not sure how I reduce their height 'properly'. Hopefully it's possible without wrecking them. Worst case scenario is taking them out completely

Advertisement