Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home security set up

Options
  • 04-05-2023 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey, can’t find a whole lot of recent info so thought I’d ask here.

How are people securing their bikes at home !? Lock set up etc. I’m living in a semi detached house with a driveway , use a heavy duty chain front and rear and an alarmed disc break.

Looking to improve my set up and looking for some guidance.

Cheers,

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Any type of ground anchor is better than just locking the bike to itself.

If you have a car, park the bike between the car and house. Adding a pillar behind the car improves security again. The less room to move the better.

You can also convince a neighbor to get a slightly better bike, or have slightly worse security thus being an easier target than your one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Take a look at bennetts youtube channel in the last year, they review and test security equipment and look at protection in general

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geoff86

I do pin the bike in with reversing a car up against the side alley. I do currently only have a fairly standard “D” clamp screwed into the concrete and put the chain through that but was thinking about putting something to house and chaining to it if anyone has any suggestions on what is best to use!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Semi-detached house - so can you get the bike down the side of the house and park it behind a gate so it's not visible from the street?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Geoff86

Unfortunately side alley isn’t wide enough to get a motorbike down it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Cover the bike in an outdoor stormtex cover…as well as protecting the metal parts and electrical components from the elements it has been proven that if a thief can’t see what make model year ect bike it is at first glance they will move on as opposed to a nice shiny bike on display for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Roll the front wheel up on a skate board, turn the bars and drive it down. With the bars turned it may fit. That's a well rehearsed solution in the mx world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This...

My Brother in Law had his bike out front under a decent cover with good locks into a good ground anchor with flood lights and a camera. Someone still tried to take it, luckily the light made them move off before they did any damage, but I've seen videos of people in daylight trying to bash disc locks off outside people house to steal it and there's lots of videos of angle grinders being used overtly to cut locks. Do as much as you can to get the bike out back or else they'll damage it and possibly your car trying to steal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you're parking outside definitely get a ground anchor. I'd be looking at the grinder proof locks. They're not really grinder proof, but basically battery grinder proof. Definitely a cover too.

Advertisement