Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DATA ONLY SIM - 30 days - 5GB Data £3/€3

Options
  • 04-05-2023 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone who needs a data only (so no texts or calls) sim for a specific LTE connected device, I saw this offer is available when you buy the following dash cam:

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/product/thinkware-dash-cam-t700/#first-select-your-dash-cam

"We have teamed up with Vodafone to provide affordable connectivity, for only £3/€3 per month on a rolling monthly contract. This provides up to 5GB of data per month, which is sufficient for most if not all people’s needs. The SIM is a Smart SIM which provides national and international roaming across more that 160 countries around the World, ensuring the best possible coverage for your Thinkware camera."

There's also 24GB that lasts 24 months for £35 from Three here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M3VJ2B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The Vodafone one is 5GB a month, so would work out better for higher data usage devices, however I think you can only sign up for it with a UK, German, Italian or Spanish number or possibly bank account too and I think you need to set it up through the Vodafone Smart App. Also, apparently if you load it into another data device, it will lock? Would anyone know if a workaround for either of these caveats would be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looks like the SIM is only for use in the camera?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, apparently it locks if put into something else. But I was thinking perhaps the Boards posse may have a workaround for this? 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Vodafone have something the same or similar for years, but doesn't seem to be advertised much. Its for use in low data applications and it's €2.99 a month, I had it in a tracker, presume the service is still active. It too works with the Smart app, and Vodafone used to sell trackers etc on their site.

https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/v-by-vodafone.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

You can buy a 3 Hong Kong 13GB data esim that lasts for 365 days and works in any country in the world for 39usd. I'm using it in my LTE galaxy watch for months now and it works flawlessly

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Would you mind giving more details on this please? Where can you get this? Silly question but - can you use an esim on an older phone or how do you load it please?

• Advertisement

The easiest way to do it is to download the Mobimatter app on Android and buy it through that. They have loads of different sim offers from around the world collated there but that's the best offer.

Whether or not you can load an esim or not depends on the phone. They've been around for ages now so should probably work but you still get the occasional outlier that doesn't support them. Best to Google the model. Once you have the esim it's usually just a case of scanning a QR code from a compatible phone and then it just works like a normal sim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone PAYG phone SIMs allow purchase of data ons, cheapest is 5GB / €5 / 28 days. Not sure if it works in all non-phone devices but it's PAYG so no recurring payment needed.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think the one I linked to in the OP is better than this? £35 for 24gb which lasts 24 months?

I think Vodafone must have abandoned these v sims, all their devices are gone from their shop too. Mine still works.

• Advertisement

It is a better offer, the Hong Kong one is an esim though so that may be of benefit.

I had a few of those Three sims, they work fine, but. far as I remember, won't work in a phone even for data only or as a hotspot.

Yeah I'd agree it's better if you don't need the convenience of an esim. Newer smart watches etc need esims and if you're travelling and need to have data and your 'main' sim on at the same time it's handier, unless your phone is physically dual SIM

I rang Vodafone in Dundrum asking if they had any of the V Sims. The guy who answered was very helpful and said they don't have any in stock and they'd been waiting about a year for stock and the other stores don't have them either. He said there's talk about a replacement product being launched at the end of summer which is likely going to be an e-sim and is going to allow a number to be cloned to be used in data devices like smart watches, garmin products etc.

He said the only other option from VF at the moment would be to get a regular plan.

By the way, on the three sim, I've had it in a Pixel 3a using it as a hotspot no issue.

Advertisement