Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fill my planter

Options
  • 03-05-2023 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have built a sleeper planter. I want to fill it. I have some garden degree such as loral branches. I also have to dig out the rest of my garden to lay fake grass.

my main question is can I use the turf / scraw grass to bed the bottom of the planter or will that cause issues. Ie can I cut it out in sods grass and all and will it decompose if it’s well covered with proper soil or will it cause issues.

hope I made my self clear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be a bit cautious of putting scutch in that planter, and there is almost certain to be some scutch in your lawn grass. If it digs up without the tell-tale white runners then you might be ok, but scutch will come to the top no problem. Put the sods in a single layer upside down at the bottom. Its really not deep enough to put in a lot of branch-bits. As they rot down the whole level will sink quite dramatically (I have one barely half full raised bed that proves that point!) and you will have to find a way of topping it up. It will drop a bit anyway so make sure it is well filled to the top with soil.

Advertisement