Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Appealed to Circuit Court

Options
  • 02-05-2023 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I won a case against a previous employer who I became a contractor for in the district court for unpaid invoices.

I had a solicitor and racked up costs doing it (about 25% of the invoiced amounts).

However now the case has been appealed to the circuit court and costs to fight the case would go above the value I am claiming.

Also, I simply cannot afford to pay for the solicitor to fight the case based on how much they want. I am wondering if I can represent myself in the court even though the district court had a lawyer represent me and if the fact that since this case began I have moved to a different country and would not reasonably be able to return for court and therefore I would hope for it to be online, would go against me.

If anyone on here is educated on this topic, I can’t find details on this particular issue but I am owed over €4,000. There is also a potential of a counterclaim from the defendant (nothing real behind it, just a scare tactic) but I’m not sure how to defend myself on this and what documents I need to file or anything. It’s all just freaking me out and I’m looking for any help I can get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Legal advice not permitted here. Just a few observations on general principles arising.

Filing a Notice of Appeal is sometimes a tactic to persuade another party to drop the case or to negotiate a compromise.

A successful plaintiff in the DC usually gets an order for their party and party costs as well as an order for damages.

If the plaintiff has to contest an appeal in the Circuit Court from the original defendant and wins again they can expect to get an order for their Circuit Court costs as well.

Where one party resides outside the jurisdiction they might face an application by the other party for security of costs. If successful, the order would require the party against whom it was made to lodge funds against the possibility that they might have pay costs. The fact that a party resides outside the jurisdiction is not an automatic ground for such an order to be granted. LINK Circuit Court Rules | The Courts Service of Ireland

Representing yourself in court is rarely a good idea especially where you were represented in the court below.

In summary, the decisions to be made on how to proceed require assessment of the risks and merits of the case as well as as the practical economics. Litigation is an uncertain process. IMHO OP should stick with their solicitor who should be advising on the merits of the appeal.

Advertisement