Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on RCSI , UCC and NUI

Options
  • 02-05-2023 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Daughter of a friend of mine in US is looking to take up undergraduate medical program in Ireland and has been accepted in RCSI , UCC and NUI so asking for some questions on their behalf if someone can help .

I read on the forum that the structure of the program in RCSI is more geared towards foreigners but given that the fees in RCSI ( 60 K Eu /yr) is almost 1.5 times that in UCC I am wondering if the there is any other significant differences- Perhaps more options for students to choose when it comes to clinical rotations or different hospitals in Dublin to choose from in the final years ??

Also is the residency offered afterwards restricted to foreigners ( non EU /Irish ) - I am presuming graduates are matched to residencies and it must be merit based for foreigners ?

They have to decide on either of the medical programs soon and I have no clues so any information here will be of great help ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

There are no significant differences between medical schools in Ireland (and I have no idea what your comment about RCSI could even mean - they all need to teach the same content to the same standard).

The residency (term not actually used in Ireland) is completely separate from medical school. It does preferentially rank EU applicants ahead of others. To be honest, most Americans return to the US to complete their residency (though this can be challenging and will need to be remembered throughout the training - it would be remarkably unpleasant to try to organise participating in the NRMP in final year).

I'd make my decision based on rent to be honest - they're going to get a good medical degree no matter where they go.

Advertisement