Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Quoted as 1st time driver 30+

Options
  • 02-05-2023 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread. I'm 41 M, have a full license for 20+ years. No penalty points etc. Due to financial reasons, I was unable to drive for around 3½ years. Recently things changed, Thank God. I was looking at getting a little car, just a run about, modern, with all the bells & whistle's. When it came to getting insurance, I did like others do & shopped around. I knew well my no claims bonus would be gone, I had the max 6+ years, but assumed I'd be paying something at least reasonable. When I spoke to the agents, they all said the same, regardless of my past driving experience & full license, I am what they call, a "first time driver over 30" and all proceeded to quote me between 2 & 3k. I rang another company to see the difference, I said I had 1 year last year as a name driver, to which I was quoted €580 fully comp. I'm shocked, although I know I shouldn't be. Insurance in Ireland has always been ridiculously expensive.

Sorry for going on & on, my question is, can anyone Please help and point me in a direction I could go and not have to pay so much. Or am I just going to have to just put up & pay.

Thank you all in advance. I've 2 young children and having a car would be literally improve our lives no end. Thank you again. P

Post edited by Henry Ford III on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wrong forum so I'll move this.

P.d. Have you asked a broker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulmac131

Thank you for your reply, apologies for posting in the wrong place. I did call one broker, who wasn't at all helpful when he heard my details. Similar to the main stream companies. AIB insurance rep went above & beyond trying to help me. Only positive response. But in the end couldn't get over the gap in my driving with his system. I'm really struggling & very disheartened tbh. Thank you again for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

€580 with no NCB is doing very well to be honest.

Got my renewal quote a few days ago, over €700 and I've got max NCB, full Irish licence nearly 30 years, no points, etc. Over €100 up on last year, feck that, went to Quotedevil and halved my premium

Not sure what you mean by all the bells and whistles but you can add Bluetooth to any car for about €20, if you don't drive much and after all managed without one up to now then getting a new or even new-ish car would be a huge waste of money.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulmac131

Apologies, the €580 was with the driving experience I mentioned. But unfortunately in my case, my driving experience has 'expired', they call me a "First time driver over 30"

Accidentally posted before I finished. With being a 1st time driver over 30, the best they can do is around 3k. For example AXA, @€2800 3rd party, €2830 3rd party F&T, and €2895 fully comp. The car I had in mind was a VW golf 1.4l petrol. 10 or 11 years old, around 200k mileage. Tax & NCT valid if that matters, also from a dealer. Bells and whistles, I just ment alarm & immobilizer, new tyres, nice clean car with full service history. Sorry for any confusion, any help would be really appreciated. Have a great day.

Advertisement