Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need advice on 2.0tdi 2014 Golf GTD

Options
  • 01-05-2023 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Morning Lads , looking for some advice.

I have a golf gtd that intermittently won't start. It is like the engine is sized and won't turn over. It started only if the cars was parked for some time on a steep incline or decline (or that could be my imagination) but now is starting to happen when the car is on the level. Only seems to happen if the car is parked up for awile also. Over night or while I'm in work for example. If I push the car to put the car on the level it seems to turn. Or turn the key a few times and force it she will start.

One it turns it starts within a few turn overs also, it starts strong.

I tested the battery and it is perfect , I changed the starter last week and it is still doing this.

No error code showing. Idling perfect once it's started.

Now she has always needed coolent once a week or so since I got it and it got worse so I changed the radiator in the inlet manifold when she was gaving white smoke but back to the original problem of putting in coolent once a week or so, takes about 400/500ml

Was thinking maybe the cooler in the egr is leaking also

Could these issues be linked ?

What would be your thoughts on the car acting like she is sized intermittently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pooley124

If you're adding coolant and it's not leaking anywhere then it's possible your head gasket is gone. This would also explain the starting problem. Coolant leaking into the combustion chamber while the car is sitting might give a hydro locking effect when you try to start it .

You'd be best off bringing it to a mechanic for a proper diagnosis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That level of coolant use suggests a terminal engine problem. I'm actually surprised that you think any coolant use is acceptable because it really isn't. I'd be thinking about budgeting for a new engine. Gasket has likely failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Whocare

Post edited by Whocare on

• Registered Users Posts: 40 welshireland

I was thinking it may be using the coolent at the EGR cooler that is common on these golf's and was going to change this first, I was also thinking it could be a head gasket failure , but it is a very slow leak and not causing over heating would the head be the issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

It will only overheat when the coolant level gets too low, if you keep topping it up before it gets low, even with a leak the car would never overheat.

Overheating can cause head gasket failure, and the reverse is true when the head gasket goes.

EGR cooler is a good shout if its a common issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

Mayonnaise in the filler cap was a sure sign of head gasket issues back in the day for petrol cars... does the same apply to diesel yokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

More of a milkshake froth these days.

Advertisement