Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof jacket

Options
  • 01-05-2023 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a waterproof jacket for general day to day use and a few day hikes around Ireland.

Goretex seems the leader but all the brands seem to have their own version of waterproofing and breathability technology.

thinking of this one: mountain equipment Zeno.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/zeno-mens-jacket

thoughts?

only thing I’m dubious about is the ‘helmet compatible” hood. I won’t be wearing a helmet etc and this massive hood could be over the top for my needs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Your concerns are valid with the hood. The fastener on the hood usually does a good job of making it smaller though.

Mountain Hardwear are a well established brand, very big in the UK with mountain rescue teams so no concerns about quality.

It's light enough so wouldn't be suited to cold weather hikes or very wet windy days in winter. Perfect for warmer weather rain etc.

Other brands worth checking out in that price/quality range are Rab, Alpkit & Montane or for a few more quid Arc'teryx, Patagucci and Outdoor Research.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

Thanks. Yeah the helmet compatible hood is definitely overkill for my needs, I don’t need a big visor that comes half way down my face

Are mountain equipment and mountain hardware the same company?

I should have said in my opening post, this will be primarily used to keep me dry/as an outer shell, I will wear layers underneath for warmth

it has a waterproof rating of 20,000 and a breathability rating of 20,000. Not sure how valid these are in the real world but the values seem decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Apologies I meant Mountain Equipment... Mountain Hardwear are an American company who make excellent gear also. Both should not be confused with the very entry level Mountain Warehouse gear :)

This mountain equipment Zeno jacket has a 20k waterproof and 20k breathability rating.

do these actually matter in the real world?

or should I just spend more and get gore tex.

Bump ☺️

• Advertisement
Advertisement