Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Meadow Ants

Options
  • 30-04-2023 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi, I recently dug up my garden (it is quite large) what I discovered is that it is filled with what I have determined to be yellow meadow ants (house is in the suburbs). There are thousands in the soil. The house was old and the garden had been abandoned. I don't know what to do with them, should I just leave them be? Are they a pest, could they make there way into the house?

I have found info on them that says they stay underground etc. And they are actually good for eating aphids etc. But the amount of them in the garden is what is concerning me.

Has anyone come across them before?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Leave them alone; they are not harmful to plants or humans, and represent the living biodiversity in your soil.

Since they are native, they will establish a natural balance with other species.

Leave them be!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 misterreginald96

Okay great thanks! So they won't start making their way into the house or anything? The only thing is that there are kinda unsightly ant mounds in the garden, I presume I could disrupt/flatten those and the ants would still be living happily underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,915 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Id pay good money to have a decent ant colony in the garden to look at tbh, can they be introduced? Unless they did start making their way into the house that is... But even then wouldn't they just be cleaning the crumbs up and making it less likely you get mice?

Advertisement