Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a car restoration project from UK

Options
  • 30-04-2023 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, could anyone tell me the process to import a car restoration project from the UK to the ROI. It's over 40 years old and was manufactured in Germany but first registered in the UK.

I see the information about importing cars with 23% of invoice + Duty of 10% of invoice + travel cost to Ireland but everything I read implies the car is running. If the car is a project that may take more than a year to complete is there a different category? Is it a car if there is no engine for example...

As of April 2023 is there any good companies that can help with the import given the things I outlined?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Its like importing anything else from outside the EU. You pay 23% VAT and 10% customs when the goods arrive in Ireland.

Only difference here is that your car is vintage so is exempt from the 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Per the vrt rules the car needs to be running for the assessment. Some centres will stick to this, others not so much.

Vat is 13.5% on a classic, if it’s original, whether a project qualifies I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

I don’t think its 13.5%. Thats the VAT rate for supplying services

It is, its classed as a collectible. Search the forum, many posts confirming this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 d1barnet

Thanks to all for the replies, who should I contact for clarity on the running status ? I presume the good folks in Ireland like to buy non running projects from abroad or is it just me ?

Could someone point me at the legislation that says its Vintage for 1983 (40 years old) and does this mean its 13.5% VAT and no Duty ? Where can I confirm this is writing ...

Thanks again everyone Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 d1barnet

So 13.5% if its Vintage and being kept as by a collector (which this would be) thats good!, Can anyone confirm the zero duty ?

Thanks all Dave

All the vrt information is in the faq section of the NCT website.

You can phone a customs clearance agent and they will clarify about vat and duty due.

Advertisement