Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowering cherry tree kwanzan problem

Options
  • 29-04-2023 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello i have a flowering cherry tree kwanzan planted in a large pot but it has developed a brown scaly patch on its trunk which is spreading. I thought it could be canker but there isn't any gum or sap oozing out and when i scratch the surface of the infected trunk it still seems to be green underneath. Does anybody know what it could be and how to treat it? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭standardg60

Certainly looks like canker, are there any leaves on the tree?

You'll never have much success growing a tree of that size in a pot btw, they'll only last so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ij2000

Yes there is leaves and flowering now, I was hoping to transplant it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭standardg60

I see from your last pic it hasn't ringed the trunk yet, once it does that the growth above will die. The branch which was broken or pulled off in your first pic was most likely the entry point for the disease.

No guarantee but cutting out the affected area back to healthy wood is the way to go.

Advertisement