Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Dark Mode on everything, can't remember how to turn it off!

Options
  • 28-04-2023 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭

So a while back, I was using a dark mode add-on for Chrome on the work laptop, but they've disabled add-ons, so I went searching and found something, at some point in the last few months, which allowed me to automatically make everything dark mode. All office apps, calculator, Chrome, Edge, everything except programs I open via Citrix. I can't for the life of me remember how I did it, but I need to turn it off to make a document with screenshots and no one will recognize them if they're all dark.

All I remember when enabling it was that it basically said that it's beta or a work in progress or something like that, and may not work with everything. It's not something I installed, because I don't have permission to install stuff. It's not a specific add-on because it's affecting all apps. Dark mode theme is enabled, but that just changes the colours of the taskbar, etc. Backgrounds remain dark and text colour changed, some pics/banners don't display properly because of this but that's ok. But I need to turn it off.

Anyone any ideas? Pic for example showing Chrome with corner of Word doc:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭Breezy_

jaysus, I've spent 20 mins messing at settings in windows and firefox and I've made a pure mess of mine. Though I can say with 99% certainty, you've got a 3rd party app running somewhere as I've turned on every dark theme and colour personalisation I can find and nothing has my screen like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I think maybe I have some combo going on. Office has a dark theme, changed that to "Colorful" and everything Office related changed back to normal after closing/opening. I've no extensions in Chrome, reset the Theme from something called "Slinky Elegant", can't see anything else to change, reload and nothing, colours/icons still inverted. Changed Windows theme to Light, taskbar and app borders light, backgrounds still dark. Teams was a simply darkmode change.

So most is back to normal, except for Chrome backgrounds/pages being inverted. So that warning I remember must be something Chrome related. Nearly there!

Boom! Something called: chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark

That was painful. Forgot how bright everything is...

firefox doesn't have anything like that. I'd have to download a plugin to get boards dark like yours.

Oh! their is a "colour filter" menu in windows that inverts everything. So then you need to undo windows dark theme, firefox dark theme and google dark...but then you have dark boards.ie

I'm probably gonna have to look for a reset back to default option now. This was not a good thread to find hehe.

• Advertisement

and reddit dark...oh I probably have loads!

Eww, but it ruins video! So it's a non runner!

Didn't affect video for me. Only icons, even ads were grand (now that they've disabled add-ons, ads are back, yay! Edit: seems they didn't block them...)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Do you mean just have Boards dark?

Dark Reader add-on for Firefox darkens all sites, but you can switch it on/off for selected sites.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Windows has its own, browser has its own dark mode. FF in particular, Settings>General

Advertisement