If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Renovation advice

  • 28-04-2023 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

    Need to renovate our 1930's mid terrace house, not extending or doing anything structural so don't feel that we need an architect. I'm just wondering if there is somewhere that we could go to for advice on how best to bring the house up to standard? First time ever embarking on a project like this so nervous of not doing it properly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 45,875 ✭✭✭✭muffler

    You need to engage a professional if you feel you aren't competent enough to undertake the role of project manager. Before that you need to decide what exactly is proposed and how you wish to list/itemise the various works and then decide if you are going with a single contractor for everything or subbing individual works out to various tradesmen. From what you have described I think you may need an architect or technician to help with the design element in the first instance and then follow up with preparing a contract, seeking tenders etc.

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    An architect is still probably the best person to advise.