Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Sprouting Branches Help

Options
  • 28-04-2023 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi, I've just moved into a house which has a large old tree in the garden. I'm absolutely clueless about trees so could anyone tell me what's going on with the 100's of new small branches going in every direction that are sprouting out of every part of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are called watersprouts or suckers and are usually a sign that the tree is stressed in some way. Could be disease or damage of some sort. I'd be a bit suspicious of the black growth on the bark, it could be a disease but I am not familiar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭standardg60

Looks to be an Ash which is either dead or dying. All that growth was an attempt by the tree to regenerate after the top growth was killed back by disease.

On the plus side plenty of firewood in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

Thank you both. Had seen some pictures of watersprouts alright, but i wasn't sure. There's nothing I can do to remedy the situation at this point?

It's not fully dead, as one of the sprouts has some leaves growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Try to coppice it. If not dead it might regenerate, but it isn't the best time of year to do so.

Either way you will still get the firewood out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If you really want to keep it and I can see why as it's a feature, you could get a tree surgeon to look at it. If diseased and there is a lot of ash die back about, then it might be possible to have it cut back/ pruned severely and let it sprout again. That might have happened here already in the past, if the tree was cut down close to the ground or chewed by animals, it threw up suckers, the strongest of which in time developed into the several trunks apparent in photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

I definitely don't know enough to work on it myself, so getting someone out might be the best route. I'd like to save it if at all possible. I'm hoping getting a tree surgeon out for a look isn't too expensive.

Cut it to the ground, if it regenerates well and good but i doubt it. The watershoots look a couple of years old and most look dead too. Cutting and burning will help prevent the disease spreading to other trees you have, so look at the positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,242 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd agree with that conclusion. Put in another young tree - of a different type - and enjoy watching it grow.

Looks like an ash and if so it's more likely than not got ash die back.

Get rid of it ASAP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement