Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I need to buy a new car

Options
  • 27-04-2023 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭

I'm in the market for a new car

I had a car written off so have some cash and a trade in 4wd Kuga . I was spoiled for space with a Skoda superb estate.

Im rural and don't see an EV being practical for when I have long runs out of the county, so it's a hybrid of some type

I need boot space and something with a high driving position( (like the Kuga) but I also need ceiling height. Wife is 6'2. Son is 6'1 and a few years growing in him still

Can anyone give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭eagerv

I wouldn't rule out an EV being rural, we are also rural and totally electric.

Probably easier for charge point/ solar not being in a city.

You will always leave home with 300km or whatever, probably driving towards multiple fast charging points in cities or motorways.

Price drops lately, so would look at Tesla Model Y. Or VW ID.4, BYD Atto etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Model Y is right up your street.

What’s your budget and max daily trips?

Also ID4, Skoda. I wouldn’t rule out an EV unless you’ve already done the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've driven an ID.4 to Cornwall in the UK, as well as across Ireland several times and it's absolutely bulletproof. Would have absolutely no qualms about driving electric anywhere (western Kerry from Dublin might require a bit more planning, but wouldn't cause me any angst)

I'm 5'10" and there's decent headroom, should be okay in the back seats as well, I've seen people over 6 foot sitting in the back and saying it's fine

Any long range EV would probably suit, I'd give them a test drive and see how you find them before discounting one

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Octavia Estate is hard to beat, mild hybrid starts at €32,000.

The plugin RS would be really nice, but €48,000 is a lot

I like the Kia Niro PHEV myself, good size, performance and if daily journeys are under 50km and can be done on battery alone it will be cheap to run but as usual not cheap to buy at €41,000

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Put away the notion that EVs don't suit people in rural areas. That's something that certain motor-industry representatives say so that people will continue to buy their fossil-fueled products.

Ultimately buy whatever suits you, but make sure you do your homework on EVs beforehand, including factoring in the cost of servicing and interest payments for all options. Those of us who have been driving EVs for a while know that they work just fine for rural drivers since you most likely have a driveway, and can charge up overnight to exploit the full range of the car if needed.

I would only discourage someone from getting an EV in two cases:

• You only have access to on-street or apartment parking
    • You make lots of unpredictable long journeys

The second one may apply to you, but if your long journeys are to the same handful of places, you'll find out where the chargers are, and you'll be grand. New chargers are springing up all over the place, so the situation will even improve IMO. It certainly has since I first started driving an EV, despite the increased numbers on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Budget is the issue. Will probably have about 27k. Taking trade in into account.

Was speaking to a few people locally. One has an EV and the other a hybrid.

The EV owner regrets buying. Says the blurb was 300km. Reality is 180 on a good day. Not sure what he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I can tell you what he has: A 40kWh Nissan Leaf 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the budget? Sounds like a comfy SUV/Jeep is what your after and a step up from the superb and Kuga.

EV can be used rurally it's just a pain in the hoop compared to a normal car, cost benefit analysis wouldn't leave much between them when all is said and done. I'd stick with an engine for convenience depending on purchase price, Hybrid isn't any advantage with current electric prices unless you sign up to a night time tarrif but consult the wife first, again the higher purchase price doesn't out weigh the fuel saving unless keeping for a long time.

Budget will be about 27k I reckon. Allowing 15k trade in value on Kuga.

Don't have the the capacity for another loan.

I had thought about the self charging hybrids but don't know much about them.

Will need to be changing very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Ive an EV and a diesel. I would never have the EV as the only family car though.

You will never get the truth out of people who just spent 40 or 50k on their new EV :)

Ive had 3 different EVs over 10 years now and the charging network is a pox and getting worse all the time relative to the amount of EVs needing to use it.

So when we want to go long distances or when we dont have a few extra hours to spend charging or waiting to charge, or going out of our way on a holiday or long journey we just take the diesel. Probably cheaper to take the diesel on those trips nowadays too, although i havent done the sums. Its close anyway.

Wait, don't you have solar panels? If you do then an EV or PHEV are an absolute no brainer

I've a 3.24vkw system. Not enough to run a car in the winter.

It will also be our only car

But you can feed it from the excess, I've 6kWp and haven't charged from the grid in over 4 weeks

You can use a timed charge at night to top up when you need the extra charge

It's something definitely worth considering

There's a chap on another thread looking to change his V60 think 2019, not sure if he's figured out what to go for next though, it hasn't the height of the Kuga but you'd have the room of the superb with very comfy seats, it's something like this he has, https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v60-2-0-diesel-estate-d3-momentum-150bhp5dr/33887253

Would makes do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭n.d.os

He bought the wrong car. That's not uncommon. I hear it every day from Leaf owners. If you're going EV, look at your circumstances and buy something with enough range.

Forget the living rural thing. I live in Gorey Wexford and commute to Dublin in an EV. My wife is doing Gorey to Meath and back today in an EV. Neither of us uses public chargers. We manage fine with one home charger. Remember with home charging you can do up to 450km per run purely on home electricity.

27k isn't a huge budget for an EV or PHEV but there will be plenty of secondhand PHEVs in your budget. If you do a lot of driving locally, you'll see considerable savings, but if you are a motorway commuter stick with Diesel or buy an EV.

Also if you're on a budget, don't rule out a PCP. So many people turn their noses up at them but they are a good way to keep costs down if you change your car every few years and there is always the option to pay off the lump sum at the end on HP.

Beautiful car. Hadn't thought of particular makes just yet. When you've a family of 4 with 3 over 6 foot, it's a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Casati

If you not doing big miles then a petrol SUV like this might be worth thinking about https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/skoda/kodiaq/fpa/202304116171742?journey=Search If you doing a lot of mileage maybe consider keeping the Kuga?

Being rural or indeed being a city dweller doesn't dictate what fuel your car should be powered by - that's down to the type of driving generally. When I lived in the city diesel was perfect for me - i.e. I generally cycled most of the time and the car sat in the driveway, but diesel was great for the many long distance drives & trips away I made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

plug in hybrids can be very good if

A.) You do a large amount of high frequency drives. Eg < 30 or 40 km

B.) You have home charging and are willing to plug in religiously

C.) You till need to do occasional high milage without worry.

My wife drives a 172 BMW 530e and meets the above criteria, and was initially concerned about going full EV. (I've been full EV for last 5 years)

However she is now much more comfortable with EVs and is selling the 530e privately (if anyone wants it shout) and replacing it was a Tesla Model Y

However it would not suit the OP as the book is not very large.

I drive a full EV, Kia Soul 64kW. It is very very practical, visually challenged, fully loaded spec wise, and is a wonderful car. Because it looks like the lovechild of a Star wars storm trooper and postman pats van, it is infinitely practical for carrying stuff, when the back seats are down, when they are up it's not great at all.

I live in a rural area. I actually subscribe to the idea that EVs are far more practical for rural dwellers and our almost never ending local runs to shops, gaa, bringing kids places etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

EVs and rural usage today will depend entirely on the drivers situation.

It's too simplistic to say

"EVs don't work in rural areas"

Need to look at each individual use case.....

For all the anti EV stuff you can travel a surprising distance on just home charging alone.....

But it's actually fine for the OP to decide EVs are not for them.

I do think it's worth having the conversations with each individual user as to what exactly they do driving wise.

Noting that people's idea of a long journey varys.

For some people a "long" journey is 50 miles to the city and back.....

People seem to think *every* rural driver either does 150 miles one way to work everyday or pulls a 2 tonne trailer.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really, Elon is determined to drive down the price and battery tech is getting better, a solid state may be in production by the end of the year and fuel savings could be obliterated by deprecation.

Done deal is awash with used Tesla's now and none of the owners seem to be willing to accept that a Tesla can depreciate hard.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Split off the discussion about general costs as it's not helping OP's question

V90 is a bit taller and probable more head space, you'd probably have to step back a year or two over a v60 if you wouldn't fit in it. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v90-d4-190hp-r-design-geartronic/33948329

There is no excess in winter. If I get 2 kWh a day I'm doing really well

Okay, but in summer you'll be getting excess

Use the excess in summer and night rate in winter

That requires a decent at home battery to capture it. The numbers just don't add up unless your keeping you car for years. Should we have a poll and see how many years boardies actually keep their car for, me it's usually 12/18mts discounting the classics in the shed.

No, I've had no home battery for 2 months and I've been driving on solar for weeks

In fact, getting the home battery is probably going to decrease the amount of excess going to my car. Batteries got installed today and I got no excess at all (admittedly a bit of a murky day)

The point I'm trying to make is if you can have the car plugged in during the day then it'll get a decent bit of excess solar during the summer months, maybe even enough to cover all your driving

If you can drive for free for 6 months then that's a pretty good saving

As the days get darker you'd set your Zappi (or equivalent) to do a few hours of charging at night to ensure you've got enough charge in the car

Same principle would work for a PHEV, might even work better with a smaller array

The one drawback is that you need more than 1.4kW of excess to start the EV charging. Some work at lower power, so it might be worth looking into that

Ok, so I've a 18.8 kWh battery that goes 50km, how much is it going to cost me to generate that from solar and retain some capacity so I can fill it every day even when there's big black clouds in the sky.

Your saying it might be possible to drive for 6mts. Cool so what's the cost of installing it?

We'll need to factor in my car cost a lot more than the equivalent petrol or diesel car, leave that up to me just let me know the free electric side of the equation.

I absolutely believe it's a good idea but with current electric costs it's pure virtue signalling nonsense, interested to see the cost of the solar solution as you've an opportunity to pull me back from the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CW2022

Any one advise I have a 2018 golf diesel..I drive 60km round trip to work each day- I work Monday to Friday

On weekends, one round trip could be 200km to visit family.

anyone recommend an EV make/model please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Pretty much anything out today will do your 200km round trip, most will exceed 300kms. What's your budget?

Advertisement