Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revoked Credit Card

Options
  • 25-04-2023 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

AIB revoked my credit card for not meeting the required payments in September 2022. I have set up a payment plan so the debt will be cleared by 2023.

I understand banks won't entertain a mortgage for me until at least 2 years has passed since the CC debt has been cleared (Sep 2025).

I also have an overdraft and Avant loan, so my question is does both the overdraft and loan have to be paid off in full before the 2 year policy kicks in? Or could I clear the OD and loan off over the next 2.5 years and then by the time Sep 2025 comes around as long as I have zero debt and the required deposit / history of savings then I would be considered for a mortgage?

I have stock options that will mature in Sep 2025 which I plan to use as a deposit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Borrowings will affect the size of the mortgage you can get so it depends on the numbers ie salary , loan repayments , duration.

I'm not familiar with the 2 year time frame you refer to regarding your revoked credit card and a mortgage application but information about your credit card situation will remain on your credit record for 5 years after the last payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,276 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

You will have a mark on your record for 5 years for any bad debt.

I was in a similar spot as yourself where i cleared an old credit card but never closed it and was charged the government stamp duty. This lead to an outstanding balance and caused me to have a black mark on my credit score.

When we went to apply for a mortgage we were advised to write a letter stating what had happened to the underwriters. Basically holding your hands up and apologising. Now im not sure if the size of your debt is a factor but i wish you luck with your application .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I'd clear the credit card debt asap.

Then clear the overdraft.

A few months of frugal living will sort it - go though every expense and see what the alternatives are. eg Phone €40 - alternative 48.ie @ €12.99, SKY TV - alternative, free sat (free) etc.

You'd be very surprised how it adds up. I did an exercise for someone recently on their spending and cut over €400 a month off their expenditure and no descernible drop in lifestyle. (she was spending €4 every morning on coffee - now has a nespresso and travel cup - that alone was €60 a month saving)

Advertisement