Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed flight compensation

Options
  • 23-04-2023 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Ryanair have denied my claim for compensation following a delay of 6h 48m between scheduled arrival time and actual arrival time. They do not deny the delay but say it was due to a lightning strike suffered by the operating aircraft.

Is this a valid excuse under EU261? I have seen mention online that it is not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

There were a couple of UK cases about this, but its not absolute.

One of the compensation websites says you can't

Can I get compensation if my flight is delayed due to thunderstorms?

No, if your flight is delayed or cancelled due to thunderstorms or other severe weather conditions, it is considered an extraordinary circumstance, and you are not entitled to compensation under Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Yes, there are contradictory advices on different websites. The UK court cases seem quite definite though.

I asked Ryanair where the strike occured and which aircraft was hit but they refused to answer.

Would anyone think the reference "a lightning strike suffered by the operating aircraft." by Ryanair implies that it was the aircraft operating our delayed flight that was hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It really would only matter if the aircraft was struck while it was operating the flight you were travelling on. An aircraft being struck by lighting is actually quite a common occurrence.

What happened 'before' your flight is not your problem. Each flight is separate and the delay of the incoming aircraft cannot be an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

How could it not be a valid reason? Each flight is not carried out by a separate aircraft so you can't reasaonably discount a delay earlier in the day, particularly when weather is one of the areas that's outside the control of the operator. It comes down to what is 'reasonable'. In this instance it might be just about acceptable that that level of delay is reasonable for the issue that occurred. Ryanair would have analysed this and understand what their obligations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I can see by viewing the aircraft's flights for the day in question that it was not delayed before operating my flight. It was scheduled to operate my flight at a later time than originally scheduled, unless it was substituting for another aircraft that had been struck by lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sitting DA at the moment and Air Canada flight to Toronto is delayed 4.5 hours due to 'pilot scheduling issues'.

Anyone know if delay due to 'pilot schedule issues means eligibility for compensation?

Delay was only flagged/notified earlier this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

You should be able to file an EU261 claim for €600.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement