Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split / Dubrovnik for a week in October - Advice please!!

Options
  • 22-04-2023 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

We're well travelled but never been to Croatia. We are thinking a week (not including travel days) between Split / Dubrovnik (Fly into Split - Ferry Split to Dubrovnik - Fly out Dubrovnik).

We're mid 30's and while we like to drink, we're not going with the aim of being in big crowds / nightclubs so October seems fine for us. We like to get up in the morning, see the sights, walk (lots!), stop regularly in local haunts for (de)hydration etc. - Happy to jump on a bus / ferry for day trips etc.

Does this make sense in October? Weather seems fine (We're used to swimming in the Atlantic!), research shows things are open but not too crowded.

Main thing is timeline... does a week seem right to get the 2 locations covered? We'd be getting the 07:30am ferry from Split to Dubrovnik so won't lose a day travelling. There also appears to be the option of stopping in Hvar for a night?

Would greatly appreciate any opinions on the above suggestion, many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Quags

A week is perfect for them two spots. I done Dub, Split & Zadar in 10 days.

For Dubrovnik, book a free walking tour and that will show you nearly all inside the City Walls, Not sure if your into GOT but do that tour also. Loads of places to eat/drink if you need to rehydrate! Do the Wall Walk, best views of the whole city and little shops on the walk if drinks are needed. There is a bar that is on the edge of the walls that has amazing sunset views but also has great jumping spots that loads jump in from. Swim and buy alcohol and just embrace the sunset.

Split is the same, free walking tour and GOT Tour will give you most of the city. Lot more livelier than Dubrovnik also so Split could be your hangover city if needed. Do the boat tours 100% I done one called 5 Island tour and out for the day. Also includes Hvar if you just want to see the place and not stay overnight

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was in Dubrovnik in the month of October. It was still busy enough from what I remember. There were a good few day trippers from cruise ships around so it didn't quieten down until the evening. If you like sea swimming Dubrovnik is great for that. The Adriatic waters around Dubrovnik were crystal clear and weren't too cold. You can do a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia from Dubrovnik.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks all for the input. So, we're booked! Fly out Oct 6th (Split), fly back Oct 15th (Dubrovnik)

That gives us 8 days there not including travel (Saturday - Saturday).

Now we need to decide how long to spend in each place.

From the sounds of things, Split is a more lively place? (Suits us, we like history / architecture etc. but still like to drink at night, albeit not nightclubs)

Is Hvar worth a night or two? Or a little too quiet in October?

Our plan would be to ferry from place to place, so either ferry Split - Dubrovnik, or Split - Hvar - Dubovnik (if possible). If going Split - Dubrovnik, we plan to get the early (I think 7:30am) ferry as to not waste a day travelling (we love the water so water transport is right up our alley).

In Dubronik, a day-trip to Mostar sounds like a must - 2.5hr each way but worth it? Other than that, we've done no research, just booked flights so far!

Maybe 4 days in each place would be perfect, when I was in Split I done boat trips every day (was there for 3 days), Some beautiful islands to be seen, I’ve never stayed in Hvar but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to book a room with free cancellation if you decide to not bother staying at the last moment.

For Dubrovnik, I’d recommend the walking tour, wall tour, there is a sunset or sunrise canoe around the back of the city walls which I loved. Then get the cable car to the top of Dubrovnik to see the old fortress and memories of the war! Great views on a clear day

I’ll try find photos

From the cable car down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You could spend a week in Dubrovik if you want, its the most beautiful place, we have been back a half dozen times, it has gotten a lot more expensive over the past 15 years i must say but a beautiful place.

Enjoy.

Thanks all for the input.

Goes to show destinations are subjective - some people saying Dubrovnik is boring! One common opinion is that it's not cheap there - guessing no more expensive than Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

We spent a week in Dubrovnik a few years ago and found plenty to do there. The highlight of our stay was a day trip to the Bay of Kotor in Montenegro. The bay is a double fjord with absolutely stunning scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Depends on what you are after night life is sedate but not sure how you could be bored there

Yes prices similar to here

We do like a bit of craic at night - Not nightclubs, but like going to local bars, few drinks, wandering around with life around us, so guessing 3 nights in Dubrovnik may suffice, with 1 full day being consumed by a day trip to Mostar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dubrovnik old town is 'relatively' expensive, i.e. standard big European city prices for food and drink, but a outside the walls and especially down towards the new town its a lot cheaper. We spent a few days on the islands off dubrovnik, Lopud and Kolocep. If you're tight for time, probably dont want to spend a night on each but nice for a day trip.

Few nice hotels outside the old and new town, the Hotel More and associated cave bar is nice to visit, for the cave and the views from the deck.

If you've a car, the drive up to the viewpoint instead of the cable car is interesting!

Would also definitely recommend a trip to Kotor for day, stunning place

Advertisement