Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland smart tariff and daylight savings

Options
  • 21-04-2023 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Electric Ireland never added the hour for daylight savings so if you are on night boost which starts at 2 and ends at 4 on there system it starts at 1 and ends at 3. Probably added €30 to my bill in the 4 weeks since daylight savings.

Probably the same with all there smart tariffs

Check your account online and look back over your usage and contact them if it's not accurate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Scar001

Feck - you're damn right just checked it there.

Charge battery every night between 2 and 4am so know exact usage.

Looks fine on ESB networks usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Same for me but they haven't issued bill to me since February for some reason (selected monthly bill option)

Even April usage which doesn't have change to daylight saving is wrong as above.

Checked meter clock & ESB Networks website usage which is correct with EV charging between 2-4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've noticed the same on Energia's usage dashboard and am currently going through a complaints process with them.

Ultimately the data used for billing should be the cumulative readings received from ESB when they "read" the meter remotely, so I'm not too worried, and suspect it's just a matter of them not taking DST into account when totting up and displaying the usage based on the half hourly readings coming from ESB.

If you sign up to the ESB's own portal you'll be able to see your meter reading when it's taken, and should be able to work out if EI have messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Meters don't change when daylight savings come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The old mechanical day/night rate meters didn't, but the smart meters do supposedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,340 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If your supplier is billing you incorrectly after the change to summer time, it is not an issue with the smart meter, it's the fault of their billing systems. It's not exactly rocket science to convert GMT/UTC (winter time) to summer time (GMT/UTC+1) between the last Sunday in March and the last Sunday in October.

I downloaded my smart meter data from BGE and below is the series of timestamps they gave me for the night of March 25/26th last when the clocks went forward at 1 a.m.. If you have a different supplier, your data layout may be different.

The time following the date is local (clock) time and the displacement from GMT/UTC is shown at the end. You can see that local time 00:30 on Sunday 26th (line 4) was followed by 02:00 and the displacement to GMT is shown as +1:00 from then on. I suspect the meter reports everything in GMT and the adjustment is done by the billing systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭WattsUp

Advertisement