Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance when NCT expiring & NCT backlog

Options
  • 21-04-2023 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

NCT expired early May. I live abroad and have a car at home. Had no idea about the NCT backlog. It’s telling me 7 months! I’m home in mid May for two weeks and going to ring and hope to god they might be able to squeeze me in while I’m home but if not, and the wait is indeed 7 months, I’m going to ring my insurance and just query what the policy is here? Would anyone have experience work what i can expect from the insurance company, it’s am old 2008 diesel so they may not be too sympathetic. 7 months seems huge! Am i legally allowed even drive it while waiting? Thanks for any help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not May yet. If you have someone here who can drive the car ring now to get a test date. The 7 months online wait is a joke at this stage as you'll get a date before it's due to expire in May if you call them, they have to give a free test if they can't.

With insurance they've said that once the car is road worthy they'll still cover you if you've no NCT, I think you have to have a date for the the test, even though they will reject claims if you have an NCT and the car isn't roadworthy. But the issue is that very few people have the knowledge and facilities to see if their car is road worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Some insurance policies need NCT others just say car must be roadworthy and no mention of nct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Don't ring the insurance telling them youre driving with no NCT if the policy requires it

You could end up with a cancellation

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

Thanks everyone, yeah my insurance mentions ‘You must ensure your vehicle is kept in a roadworthy condition and has a valid NCT if required’. I’ll call the centre on Monday. Looking online I saw some earlier dates appear momentarily, must have been cancellations. I’ll call and hopefully they can get something earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

You could end up with no cover if you have an accident driving without a current NCT where that is a policy condition.

There is a statement on the general subject from the RSA. Link NCT update (rsa.ie)

QUOTE from RSA

Insurance Ireland has stated that: 'Insurance Ireland members will be pragmatic and understanding in their approach to the current delays at the National Car Testing Service(NCTS). Cover will continue to be provided where customers, through no fault of their own, are unable to obtain their NCT due to backlogs at test centres.

Motor insurance and road traffic legislation require that motorists maintain their vehicles in a roadworthy condition at all times and this remains the case. Under the current circumstances, provided motorists make every effort to book appointments in the normal way, insurance companies will recognise that the current issue is not the fault of the customer.'

As far as I can see this is a restatement of Insurance Ireland's previous notice. I have looked at Insurance Ireland's site and cannot see anything new relating to the present- 2023 - NCT delays.

Q1. Does that Insurance Ireland statement apply to the 2023 situation ?

Q2. Does the cited Insurance Ireland statement actually bind it's member companies underwriting motor insurance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Captain Kidd

I actually called my insurance in the end, Kenco, who said the same, it’s ok as long as its road worthy, ‘road worthy’ could very well be disputed if something happens. Though I rang the NCT Centre and they seemed to have no problem getting me a space with a 3 week wait. So definitely call them rather than book online.

Advertisement