Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming a pension but don't know who trustees are

Options
  • 21-04-2023 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭

Background is I worked for a UK company for 22 years up to 2008 when it was taken over by another company who closed the Dublin office. Pension has been sitting there since and has recently matured. Problem is that to claim I need a form signed by a trustee but I don't know who that could be. Original trustees are probably retired or no longer with the taken over company. I wasn't given any progress on how the pension was doing unless I asked for an annual statement but that didn't give any trustee info. What happens when the company you had the pension with no longer exists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Should say the Dublin company was setup as a separate company to the UK operation.

There should be an agent/intermediary/administrator attached to the scheme so I'd contact them.

Failing that I'd try the Pensions Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I would contact the company in the UK and ask who the trustees of the company are.

For a lot smaller companies, the directors for the company are the trustees of the pension scheme

For larger companies, there would be individuals within the company who are appointed as trustees of the pension scheme.

The company may have appointed a UK trustee company as scheme trustees who would have "authorized signatories".

If you still cannot locate a trustee, the company who are administrating the pension scheme can give you a form called "Form of Indemnity" to complete. This for just covers the ass of the administrator in the event where a trustee cannot be located.

TBH......2008 isn't that too long ago. Surely other people have looked to draw down from the pension scheme. I would ask the scheme administrator if trustee approval was sought and if obtained for these.......just ask them to look at the most recently completed retirement claim and who signed off as trustee (if any)

The administrator should have on file who the trustees are or names of those who previously noted were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Thanks for that, I was the only employee so no one else would have claimed. I’ve contacted the brokers but just got an auto generated reply. I looked up the original trustees and they have all either retired or moved on.

Advertisement