Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardener/Landscaper/Builder advice needed

Options
  • 19-04-2023 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Front and back gardens need a lot of work, getting overgrown and we're unable to cope with heavy work now to be honest, and also need a new driveway. Do I need to get a builder separately for the driveway, and do I need a gardener or a landscaper for the garden. We haven't a clue, so advice would be appreciated please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What sort of a driveway? Gravel/chips, tarmac? What is there now? How big is it?

A competent landscaper could do the drive as well, even if they get someone in to do it. Be very careful, there are a lot of clueless chancers call themselves landscapers/gardeners, and they are just a waste of space. Go to a decent sized reputable company that you can see what they have already done (and check), ask for references, look for recommendations, don't do cash jobs unless you really know who you are dealing with. Expensive but probably cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭seanrambo87

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I just want to know what tradespeople should I be using.

Thanks Looksee. Haven't got that far yet to decide what we want, still under discussion. Hard to know which are reputable these days as even chancers have professional looking websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

even chancers have professional looking websites.

Yes, I got caught by one of those. I have had three separate goes at getting someone at this house and all of them turned out to be in some way useless. One lot were scam artists and cost me, one was just idle/careless and the other was ok but not great. None of them seemed to know the first thing about landscaping or gardening. I did have a handyman who, when he was actually here and working was good and reasonable priced but getting him to get out of bed and actually turn up was a major problem, and now he appears to have just given up. He did the drive for me, I organised and gaffered, and between us a good job was done.

While there is a good deal of crossover, you don't really want a gardener for doing drives and hard landscaping, a gardener will do soil preparation and planting. Landscapers will also do prep and planting as well as hard landscaping. Really you need to get personal recommendations, I have had people claiming to be gardeners who in 'casual' conversation could not identify really basic trees and shrubs, much less know what to plant. If you can find someone honest and competent it doesn't really matter what they call themselves.

About 10 or 12 years ago we got a landscape/garden services guy in to work in the garden, and when I asked for advice about some shrubs and also veggie growing he said he didn't know anything about flowers or veg!!!! He was a good hard worker though with clearing and cutting back and general maintenance like weeding and digging. A nice guy though but not enough knowledge. It's a lottery I suppose. On with the search. Thanks Looksee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RidleyJones

Be very careful. Lots of people going around calling themselves landscapers or gardeners and to be honest cutting the grass is about all they can do.

I would check around in the local area and get recommendations. If a local building site they normally have a landscaper to do the green area's so it might be a place to start.

I would still be wary of recommendations of one man in the van jobs unless multiple people recommend and can show work. You might have one person pushing them hard and find out they are drinking buddies.

Also price around, get a few people to look at it. The cheapest is not always the best either.

For the gardening work you might be best to just get anyone in to cut the whole thing back and see what you have then. Bit of weedkiller and everything cut back makes a huge difference. The driveway is always a big job and doing it wrong means you will be doing it again soon

What you want is a good groundworker, a groundworker will be able to landscape your garden and most importantly, competently do your driveway. A builder is a middle-man alot of the time. Cut out the middle man. I only ask where you are based as if you are local to me I might be able to help you out.

Regards

I actually have been in touch with a chap so hopefully I'll have a quote in a few days. I'm in Dublin.

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you. You hear alot of horror stories but in my opinion 80% of people are genuine, dont rush into anything and don't be rushed. Caveat Emptor

Rebel county here so no good to you😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread. What's the going rate for labour for a landscaper in Dublin? Looking to get some work done and should be able to source a lot of the materials ourselves. Just wouldn't know where to start with the graft

Advertisement