Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Technician - Level 7 - MATHS

Options
  • 19-04-2023 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a mature student aged 25 going to college for the first time since my leaving cert. I really want to do the Level 7 Engineering Technician course and I've applied through the CAO. I'm really worried about the maths though, not having done any since Leaving Cert - I got a B1 at Ordinary Level.

Could anyone who has done or doing this course please let me know what the maths in first year is like and if they were assigned a book so that I can get it and start trying to figure things out? Any other suggestions on some study over the summer to prepare would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

First off congrats!

As for your question I haven't done that course but in general if you're worried about the maths it might be a good idea to get a leaving cert maths book and work through that. It's prob 7 years since you last looked at it and that'll be the starting point for any work you do in college.

If you jump ahead to what's on the course but can't remember what they assume you know it's going to get confusing pretty quick.

Also most colleges have a maths learning centre or office to help you if you get stuck so no need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

What kind of engineering are you looking at. I am Electronic and the maths is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi.

I am going to be blunt.

I returned to education after a 30 year gap.

I assumed I was rough at maths.

Now I know that was actually a mix of me being a bad learner, coupled with a few bad teachers.

Go back to the beginning. I was drawing pizza slices to reverse engineer the equations around fractions.

So many pennies dropped for me, that I had missed first time around.

Finding something hard to grasp? Go to YouTube. Someone is likely explaining it a different way.

No one will do this for you. You have to do it yourself.

Maths is sequential in topics. Miss the comprehension on one bit, it will always catch you later on other bits.

All the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Nancy pi, khan academy and more. Youtube Great resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Khan academy got me through engineering maths as a mature student, I was 30 going back to do electronic engineering and I did foundation level maths for the entirety of secondary school.

Remember, you don't need to know it all, pick your battles. There is a process to maths that can be broken into steps.

Plenty of practice and repetition, I brought a little notepad and pen around with me and just made up problems to solve using the steps to commit the steps to memory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did you start the course in the end? How are you finding it so far?

Advertisement