Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consolized MVS systems - your experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

I built a consolized MVS a while back based on the OpenMVS from taitoc labs. It's all open source now so you could find someone who produces the boards and shell and lob a 1 slot into it or do it yourself.

If the 'AES look' systems are costing €400, or in that region, and that was the look you wanted. You'd be much better suited getting an actual AES with a fuzion converter from furrtek (they're cheap and very good). I have a few spare AES systems if you were so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Huh, hadn't heard of OpenMVS - I'll check that out, cheers!

Yeah I had an AES with an MVS converter for years that did the job, ended up going bad on me though with corrupted sprites. I think Kerbdog has it now if I remember correctly and managed to get it going again.

I think you're right though, it probably would make more sense just to get another AES than spend that kind of dosh on a Chinese hack. Still have the MVS converter knocking around somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah, I now think the converter cart might have damaged traces to the cart slot. With the MVS cart and adapter, unit I'd say its quite a weight leaning down on a AES console.

Some MVS consolised units on eBay which might just do the job without any hassle, various levels of sheen/price;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

I've had this discussion with myself fairly recently, and I think I'd prefer just go the whole hog and get an AES. It's silly though, I'm not actually a big enough SNK fan to justify the cost, but the pixel art/graphics are absolutely beautiful to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some MVS carts were a really tight fit going into the adapter, probably a bit of variance in their shells. I probably pushed down on one a little too hard one day and the force went straight into the cart slot. 😥

Thanks for posting those CMVS units by the way, will take a look!

There are some really nice flash carts for the AES out now too. Fairly expensive but it would be absolutely impossible to build up an AES game collection for it - so it's either that or MVS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

That's my plan, a nice example AES, a stick or two, and a nice flash cart or multicart for it because the NeoGeo collection scene is arguably mental health territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Have build a few of them, some more aesthetically pleasing than others... There is very little to them really, couple of simple mods and its good to go for a basic setup.

It's all about the overall presentation, those AES lookalikes do look good compared to homemade ones and the Aliexpress ones and not overly expensive. There was a kickstarter recently as well doing something similar but using a NeoGeo CD style case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el6BjUKesVM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

I don't think the MVS adapters would necessarily damage the AES through normal use. However, most use slots which basically death grip the carts and if they don't have a nice shell to direct the pins into the AES correctly, you could easily make a mess of it.

The OpenMVS does a good job of not looking like a hacked arcade board and the video out is quite good.

Advertisement