Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Irish Rail work towards removing curved platforms?

Options
  • 18-04-2023 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

These platforms are not permitted for new stations so should there be an effort made to eliminate existing instances of such platforms from the existing network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

very low on the list of priorities I'd say, massive amount of work for minimal benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's cheaper to settle what must be less than a handful of claims than rebuild platforms, the vast, vast majority of the public don't fall, or contrive to fall, between train and platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Tow of the busiest stations in the country are curved platforms (Tara, Connolly Plat 5,6,7). Space is incredibly tight around there, and I dont see how they could do it.

The mortards that be (DCC, Irish Rail, ABP and their inability to communicate) allowed developers to build right up beside the elevated rail with never a thought for expansion/Maintenance of the rail system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well curved platforms are a massive problem for accessibility so getting rid of them would just be an extension of the programme to make stations accessible for everyone. The two busiest stations with curves would be Tara and Connolly, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to fix either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aren't they adding automatic extending ramps to the new DART carriages on order? Will this not reduce this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

with the current Darts, you need a ramp to get a wheelchair on whether the platform is curved or not. I can see how someone with mobility issues might find, say, Connolly P5 awkward but I'm not aware of a glut of people falling into the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Has it even been established that they work with curved platforms?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're in use in places with them already in the UK; I have no idea of how well they work there though.

The no-new-curved-platforms rule must have some level of leeway, as Pelletstown is not dead straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

How would they not? It just has to be long enough to bridge the gap between carriage and platform

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I was always surprised they didn't have designated "reduced" mobility carraiges at cork Kent , either at the shallowest part of the curve or just a couple of push out ramps that are actually used ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement