Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Vodafone HG659 5g Network on on same LAN? Any Workarounds?

Options
  • 18-04-2023 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Yeah I'm behind the times, but I was doing some networking lately and some stuff wasn't working to well and then tonight I discovered why after trying a new application, it told me one phone was local and the other phone was remote. It's one of those situations where you don't pay attention to IP for about 7 years.

Anyhow, it appears the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and Ethernet are both on 192.168.1.0/24 or whatever it is, I'm rusty, and it has a mask of 255.255.255.0 that cannot be changed. everything on there can connect okay. My 5GHz phones receive the IP's in the 192.168.2.* range and while their internet connection works fine, they cannot connect to the router login from this address or be on the same LAN as my computer and I cannot take advantage of the same and local option of the application I was attempting to use cause it will only activate as local in 2.4GHz.

Any workarounds for this? I have a few things setup, it be a bit made re-configuring the whole thing.

I think I'll try setting the LAN 192.168.2.1 but I'll probably break something lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nuubie

So turns it out the router will allow me to you any number except 192.168.2.1

Wonder what the easiest way getting these on the same network :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Are you using the guest network to create a separate 5GHz SSID? Routers often isolate guest network traffic from the main network for security purposes.

I presume you have a reason why you don't want to use a combined 2.4/5GHz SSID with band steering? If not I would enable that and switch off the guest network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nuubie

Hi, yes, I just come back to update the thread in case anyone else experiences the problem. You are correct, I was looking to add a static DNS on my phone just a few minuets ago and I accidentally switched WI-Fi without noticing and the IP's were correct and then I realised, the guest network must be isolated. I only used it cause of setting an easy password.

That's one problem solved, I could not get port forwarding to work and neither could I get the FTP server to the WAN side, it only has LAN :/

Anyways thank for you comment, it would solve the issue.

Advertisement