Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe/Unsafe Towns in Ireland 2023

Options
  • 17-04-2023 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi everyone. 

Looking for advice from anyone aware of towns in Ireland that are nice to live in, and more importantly, those that should be avoided (or dodgy neighbourhoods in otherwise nice towns).

As I start house hunting outside of the Dublin commuter zone I realise the biggest difficulty I have is not knowing if the area is safe, or if its very run down etc. All advice is welcomed. 

At present I am looking around Portlaoise, Carlow, Sligo, Ballinasloe, Carrick on Shannon, Abbeyfeale, Longford, Carlow, Dundalk.

I'm applying for a single applicant mortgage so have very little to spend so can't afford a city. I don't drive due to health conditions so would need public transport to Dublin. And I work remotely so need solid broadband as well as access to a GP, vet, and decent supermarket .

Thanks everyone.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Impossible question. All towns have good areas and less good areas. You'd need to be more specific about what area in which towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pihjin

I guess I was hoping if anyone was familiar with the towns I mentioned that they could like me know of areas to avoid. Like if someone asked me about Dublin I could give them the top 10 places to avoid as well as 10 really nice areas. Just as a start of a guideline

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Well, I don’t have an in-depth knowledge of all those towns, but based on my experience, Longford would be at the bottom of the list. In fact Longford would probably be at the bottom of any list. I wouldn’t be rushing off to live in Dundalk, Ballinasloe, or Abbeyfeale either.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Abbeyfeale is a good bit away from Dublin. You'd need to take a bus to Limerick and then a train to Dublin. Its not a bad town though. And its close enough to Kerry and to the coast.

If Dublin is a priority, look at somewhere on a Dublin train route. Portarlington might also be worth a consideration.

Even your list of Dublin would be wildly inaccurate and open to dispute

You listed towns spread the length of the country. Very hard for anyone to offer any real info at that level.

What i will say, based on the info in your post, is to take a look at the likes of Athlone etc. Places that are around 20k population. As you are also without a car, you not only want transport to Dublin, but transport around your town would also be useful aswell. The likes of Athlone offers train, regional and local buses, local taxi services, bike share scheme etc. Towns with approx 20k pop will give you a selection of supermarkets, GP's, amenities, PT options, and so on.

If I may offer a suggestion, you seem to be starting your search from a place of "it must not be". You may have a better outcome if you shift your perspective a bit. Allow me to explain what I mean. When I was looking I made lists. What I did was make lists of my redlines i.e. things that it had to have or I wouldn't waste a second look.

First list was for the property, the second list was for the location. Then I made the same 2 again for "nice to haves". Finally, 2 lists of "it must not have". Then and only then, I started looking. You'll be very surprised what you deem important to you once you start jotting things down.

Start with that, then when you find a place, go to the area, talk to people, go into local cafe's, pubs etc and ask to get a real sense of the place.

In the end I found only 1 place that came close. Grabbed a GoCar and visited the area a few times before I even put in an offer and ended up buying.

Now, I'm not dismissing your concerns over safety, but Ireland is a pretty safe place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Sophia Petrillo

Just moved from Dublin to just south of Dundalk.Property prices much lower than nearby counties adjacent to Dublin

Dundalk is thriving, and it has evolved from its “El Paso” reputation during the troubles.

Within walking distance of my new home is the beautiful seaside of Blackrock.

Broadband is excellent, and there are good express bus routes straight in to Dublin City centre.

Worth checking out, best of luck and remember most places in a Ireland are safe.

Thank you. Even eliminating a few places is handy . Some seem too cheap to be true and I can't help but wonder if that's due to the towns being run down or dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Nothing wrong with Ballinasloe, great community spirit there.

The place I saw there seemed really nice too. In Cleagmore?

Thank you! I knew it used to be considered a bit of an "in development" area so its good to know its found some roots.

• Advertisement

I appreciate that and already know what I want in a property and in a town. Its just that there are nice homes in towns that also tick all my boxes in terms of amenities, but I don't have time or money to go visit them all to see if places around are all boarded up, or crime rate is high etc .

Any head start is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think that by looking at rail transport to Dublin would narrow down your list of towns.

Ive been going along the main rail lines leading into Dublin when searching. Most of the areas mentioned above are on a rail line. Unfortunately still leaves a lot of options !

A boarded up building is an indicator of nothing more than a disused building 🤷‍♀️

What's to say that crime rates won't be high a year after you buy? Have a chat with people you know in real life and go from there.

I have asked people I know in real life. I just thought I might find more advice on here also. I know I can't predict the future but I'd obviously rather not move in somewhere with a known (to locals) crime problem and find out too late.

Obviously not just one. If half the homes in a housing estate are boarded up its not a good sign. Especially if they look run down with that or have graffiti all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd recommend Dundalk as regards House prices and commuting options to Dublin. Many fine areas within the town and surrounding area.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Co. Louth area gives great options. The town you pick along with Belfast and Dublin on either side of the rail link.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Drogheda is another one with good links to Dublin.

House prices are really reasonable.

Mullingar is another safe bet.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Carlow has issues but parts of it are very nice, it’s a fine town with plenty of facilities on a par with bigger cities. An hour to Dublin on the train. Better weather too, not saying it’s the Mediterranean but the weather up the west would drive me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I would definitely take a boarded up building as a bad sign. Has it been burnt out because of crime? Is there not enough demand in the area to merit putting it into use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Carrick on Shannon nice town. Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, SV. GP's, Vets. Nice restaurants, bars. Lovely walks along the Shannon. People quite friendly and good community spirit. Very little crime. House prices good. Train, bus to Dublin numerous times daily.

Thanks! It's top of my list so far so fingers crossed I find somewhere once I've mortgage approval.

Re Carrick, if you're a single mortgage applicant, there are some nice solidly built 2 bedroom terrace houses (originally built by council) in St Patrick's Terrace area, stone's throw from town centre which may interest you. Lots of other choices too though prices are rising.

I have relatives in Carrick that moved from Dublin over 20 years ago and they love living there, they have all they want regarding facilities, amenities etc.

That's really useful !Thank you. I've seen a couple in Summerhill that look good too?

Yes, Summer hill lovely area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

'll say one thing - dont isolate yourself completely, none of us are getting any younger, pick somewhere with a community, close transport access if you have health issues, and amenities for shopping etc. Some " country " towns can be spread out, with shops that little bit too far if you have shopping to carry, unless you can order online.

i know someone who moved to south of drogheda and loves it, ppl in Mullngar, like the town vibe there too. In case kells comes up, i know ppl there and the bus service can be hit / miss as they dont turn up sometimes.

all areas go through bad patches, all it takes a a small cohort of degenerates, but its important you feel safe where you live.

Advertisement