Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip

Options
  • 15-04-2023 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, looking for opinions on leixlip. I will be moving there this summer and currently looking at river forest, what is this area like? I have a 9 year old daughter and she will be going to the gael scoil. Are there areas we should stay away from? I have heard lough na mona is not a nice area are there others? Any information on leixslip at all would be greatly appreciated 🙏 🙂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tornaedo

Riverforest is fine, it's got its shopping centre and public Library and is very close to a train station, primary school, secondary school and RC Church. Never heard of any trouble there.

Lough na Mona is public housing and I've heard quite a few problem cases are housed there but I've never had any problems there while leafletting or buying stuff. In general there are no really bad estates in Leixlip. It's quite a wealthy middle class commuter town with low crime. 

It has other problems, being so close to Dublin it hasn't really developed a restaurant/pub/café culture commensurate with its population, so it can be quite a boring town but it's safe and is quite scenic being in the Liffey/Rye valleys and being at the confluence of those rivers. Some nice walks/parks around the town as well.

Post edited by Tornaedo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Two issues spring to mind .That estate is VERY long and you can have up to a kilometre before you leave it -and then arrive at a busy junction .Then you have to go down Captains Hill, one of the steepest in greater Dublin area before getting to the irish school .I wouldnt bet my life on doing it in 30 minutes in peak rush hour traffic and its unlikely to take under 15 any morning .Should be less commuter traffic on way home but then school traffic will be intense possibly .Maybe youre sending the child on a bus but this stands out for me .

The previously named 'anti social' estate is probably being gentrified in a similar way to many and has a vast majority of ordinary , decent people living their .Many of the newer estates built in Celtic Tiger years are now housing their first batch of teenagers ...

There is a noticeable increase lately in mysterious male arrivals from far flung destinations including one who urinated on a busy pathway in broad daylight opposite the primary schools with people out walking their dogs etc in the early evening .But then thats an issue in most towns in the country now and a whole other can of worms .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 askingformyself

Thank you! I did wonder about the traffic in the morning trying to get to school, as we will be driving. I would conder walking but I'm not sure that's even an option with that hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cgorzy

definitely are a fair few from Riverforest and Glendale going to the Irish school and those I know say little about traffic. I think some might walk down past the nursing home and over the pedestrian bridge to save a bit of time. If planning to stay long term, worth knowing that at the moment the he most popular secondary school for those going from the Irish school is Confey College so you could be glad to be on its doorstep. Of course these preferences often change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus what a load of rubbish. Not going to touch the thinly-veiled racist comments but just from the traffic point of view, it wouldn't take any where close to 30 minutes to go from any point in Leixlip to any other point, not unless there is a serious disruption (accident, roadworks, etc). In rush hour traffic it takes about 10-15 mins to go from Confey GAA club to Castletown area. Under 10 minutes with no traffic. I do it about 5 times a week. The lights at the bottom of Captains Hill are very favourable to those coming down it.

@askingformyself As for River Forest, imo it's a great spot. Public library and small shopping centre essentially in your estate. Very easy to walk to Catherines Park. Maynooth, Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley all very reasonable distances away. The estate itself is very settled and you'd rarely hear of any trouble up that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cgorzy

I would second what you say about River Forest, good estate with lots of services walkable. Don’t drive that way or back in mornings so can’t comment on the traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Dont you mean 'far right extremist '?!Anyway Springfield to Riverforest has taken many a poor unfortunate 30 minutes .You say yourself traffic lights biased against those coming up the hill .Id often go back round the back of Intel rather than face the grind down Cptains Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

No, I did not mean that, I was referring to your comment not you, but it's obviously something that gets levelled at you a bit.

This is a ridiculous argument.

Stick it into google and schedule the departure for whatever time you want. You won't get a longer travel time of 10 minutes. To even suggest it would take 30 minutes if beyond ridiculous.

Currently Google is saying it's a 4 minute drive. The longest time I can get is 10 minutes and that's in the evening.

As I said, you're talking absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Never 30 mins unless something wrong, lights broken or crash or something. I make it to Liffey Valley in 30 mins from there even at the worst traffic times.

Thanks so much! I was a bit turned off RF because of the potential traffic.. but it is now back on the top of my list! I'm excited to move to leixlip 😊

• Advertisement

This is great information! Thank you

Thanks so much, this comment has helped massively 😁😁

Advertisement