Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor antenna make a difference?

Options
  • 14-04-2023 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Currently experimenting with three sim in a 4G router to see if i can get a stable and faster connection than my current ISP(10Mbs).

I was gifted a Cradlepoint IBR600C, got it up and running and by trying various locations a round the house i can get around 30Mbs which does drop at peak times but so far so good.

RSSI is showing around -80dBm. Which i understand is an OK signal?

What i am trying to figure is would an external antenna at a bit of height improve the speed a bit more?

Anyone have experience in a similar situation?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

you in the right forum for info anyway, see https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057089101/advice-needed-on-external-3g-4g-antenna/p1

Not familiar with device you got , but CAT4 is ... well, current routers are CAT19 ~ 22 and it will play significant role to what you can get speed-wise

As you will see per link above, me with external antenna and have good results. YMMV

Rural or urban? Many masts around? Distance? these factors might suggest what type of antenna to go for - directional or omni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Hi Smuggler, thanks for the reply.

I did a small science experiment today, set the router up on a small pole and tested speed and signal in a couple of locations around the outside of the house. Pole put it up to about gutter height.

Signal increase at the best spot was to about -55dBm and most tests over 40Mbs peak at 49Mbs.

So gains to be had. Yeah the device is a bit odd but as i said it was gifted to me so ideal as an experiment. I think they are the kind of devices you would use on something like a bus to give Wi-Fi onboard. If i am to believe the specs it maxes out at 150Mbs but i doubt i will get there...

Obviously the external antenna is going to help, but should i consider a router also?

Rural, I should have line of sight to what i think is the tower i am linking to, bar a few trees. Approx 4Km to the tower. Another site is closer but i think i am in the shade of the hill from that one. Tried to figure it out from the info in the router and the comreg site but struggled to be honest.

Antenna research is my next point of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mastro89

Hi @sundodger5, the signal at -55dBm (RSRP?) is very strong, you should get way faster results than 40Mbs and wouldn't even need an antenna. Who's your provider? Do you have an unlimited data/speed plan with it?

You can look on cellmapper.net for the masts around you and which provider has more bands and cells.

Hi Mastro,

That signal was with the router up a pole outside so for more speed i think i will need an antenna.

As smuggler mentioned the router may not be helping.

Cellmapper does not seem to have the towers on the hill accross from me listed so that is not helping.

I was looking at RSSI. I have since learned that is probably not the best to judge by.

Inside (30Mbs) RSRP is -106dB. Not great. Forget what it was on the pole.

Ya -106 it's pretty bad, try to check on comreg.ie, it's important for you to know which operator has more bands on the masts around you e.g. three has bands 1,3,20,28 Vodafone only 1,20. Based on that you can get a SIM card from one of those and a superior category router that supports CA and an antenna to get better signal or you can get a kit like the mikrotik lhg 18 in that case you don't have to worry about the antenna and the signal loss because it works with an ethernet cable and not an antenna cable.

• Advertisement

Update, For those who advised and for the next person thinking about doing this.

Ordered a second hand Huawei B818 router from CEX. Have placed it in the same spot as my original test.

Now it is variable, but have seen as high as 133Mbs. I will still need an external antenna though as it is not viable to leave the router where it is. All the rest of the network bits are in a press in the utility room. Unless the Hawei mesh will talk to my TP-LInk Decos wirelessly.

Anyway good result so far.

Great results, Huawei B818 is one of the best router out there. Should work with the tp link mesh. Kaser lpda directional antenna is the best solution to gain great signal. You can download the app "huactrl" on the PlayStore,if you have an android phone, to control your router with the possibility to lock it on a band for best results.

Advertisement