Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative phrase for condolences

Options
  • 14-04-2023 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Learning Irish here and I was wondering is there an alternative, non-religious version of "Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam"?

I'm certain I saw someone post a condolence as Gaeilge somewhere that referred to the heroes/warriors that I thought was a great phrase, can't for the life of me find anything like it now though!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a fairly common one with religious connotations that could be changed to suit.

"Codladh sámh i measc na naomh is na n-aingeal" or "I measc na n-aingeal is na naomh go raibh ______". (May you rest among the saints and the angels)

"I measc Laochra Calma na n-Gael go raibh a anam dílis" has been used upon the deaths of republicans in particular. (May his soul be among the brave warriors/heroes of Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Go raibh míle maith agat!

"I measc Laochra Calma na n-Gael go raibh a anam dílis" is what I had read and translated before.

I didn't realize it was linked to Republicanism. I assumed when I read it that it came from Irish mythology or something.

Sláinte!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

Comhbhrón ó chroí leat féin agus le do mhuintir.

Ceann deas simplí.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

Suaimhneas síoraí dá anam (fear) / dá hanam (bean) uasail.

it mentions a soul but is fairly neutral.

Advertisement