Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify Owner of Scat

Options
  • 13-04-2023 9:27pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone able to identify who left this on our patio this evening (in Leixlip). It is about 5cm long.

I'd have thought it would be too big for many birds that visit our garden. Doubt it was a neighbours cat. Hedgehog would be doubtful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Looks like fox to me but wouldn't expect the colour except when its blackberry season.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Ivy berries? Something is providing the lovely colour.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My OH reckons it is from a wood pigeon, of which we have loads here. I didn't think they could leave something that large though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bazza1

Does you neighbour like Ribena?

OP can you give any sense of scale. If that was fox I'd expect it to be in the order of 50-90mm which would choak a pigeon. Don't forget birds only urinate anything else is regurgitated as a pellet.

• Advertisement

In my OP, I said it was about 5cm in length.

We (and neighbours here) have plenty of ivy with berries

So I'm still going with fox, it has no bird pellet like features about it and hopefully your neighbour isn't a Ribena drinking Pygmy.

Other possibilities are hedgehog and badger. Most of the pictures online for fox show something quite different but I know their scat changes massively depending on diet.

Hedgehog can't be sure of but size can be up to 50mm, badger normally makes a scrape and poo's in that rather than just crapping on your patio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Looks like Fidelma in Number 34 who is on Ozempic had a bender

I was listening to Chris Morgan podcast this morning about squirrels and pine martins in Ireland. "The Wild", really interesting podcast.

Could the above scat be left by a pine martin?

Where abouts are you Seth? Rural/urban?

Sort of spiral end to the scat sounds like what they were talking about.

I'm in Leixlip so would doubt it was a pine marten (unfortunately)

• Advertisement

If you think its a regular visitor then you could try a footprint trap

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/resource/make-an-animal-footprint-trap/

A lot cheaper then buying a trail camera and easier to check than CCTV.

Are you allowed to use a meaty cat for something like this??? 😁

That looks like a great idea. Great to get kids tracking things in the garden.

Lots online like this mostly aimed at kids but its still a good way of finding out whats visiting your garden without all the faf of cameras, batteries, SD cards and taking pictures of everything other than the animal your trying to photograph. I spent some considerable time trying to get pictures of Otters with little luck, but did get photos of a few 2 legged animals.

It can get quite complicated with some traps that catch hair samples of animals that walk through them so the hair can be DNA tested. Scat is also good for DNA testing but you need a university lab onboard to do it. Locally there was an Otter survey that checked the DNA in Otter scat, firstly to see if it was actual Otter scat (hard to miss it once you know what to look for) and then to see how many different individuals were in a specific area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Pine Marten to me, they are quite widespread in Kildare too

Advertisement