Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drove my car in central london

Options
  • 13-04-2023 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Drove over to London over the Easter. Used it in centre once or twice. Read today about tourists getting massive fines for doing so. Has anyone any information that could help me with this. There is a site I can go on and register but I'm not particularly keen on drawing attention to myself just in case I can go under the radar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know it's probably the wrong thread, but is it just as economical to use a regular debit card as opposed to an Oyster card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

You'd wonder what's the point of buying an oyster card then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If you are just a casual user who occasionally uses the transport then there is no benefit to having an oyster card over using your contactless credit or debit.

However if you are a daily commuter then you would benefit from buying weekly, monthly or annual travel cards which will give you a big discount on your travel. This can be added to an oyster card but not to a credit or debit card.

You can also add railcard discounts to your oyster card. Like student discounts or OAP's.

The contactless system has daily and weekly caps, but the weekly runs from Monday - Sunday strictly. But you could buy your weekly travel card on any day and it will last for 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it's slightly cheaper for tourists if you are going to do a lot of public transport trips over say a couple of weeks.

I didn't think it was worth it for a handful of public transport trips over a couple of days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement