Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first inspection

Options
  • 13-04-2023 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

HI All,

New to boards and bees this year. I got the gear and hive last year and bees from a friend. they survived the winter.

I haven't made the first full inspection yet. The weather has been shocking.

Anyone else make their first inspection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Hi PEOFA,

Welcome :) I have 11 hives, been beekeeping for 7 years. I did my first inspection on Friday April 7th when the weather was very decent. I only had time to look at 3 hives though. Bees in these hives are doing very well, good numbers of new bees already, and a decent amount of stores left.

This Sunday the weather should turn warmer (up to 17 degrees C), that's when I plan to inspect the apiary again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PEOFA

Thanks!

That's great news. I'm in west Cork so it could be along time before we hit 17C.

I'm thinking tomorrow afternoon could be possible. I have one hive so I don't need a big window.

I've seen them bringing back pollen so that's a good sign anyway.

11 hives is a good bit of work, fair play. Hopefully I will expand out to a second or even third colony this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, the weather right now looks so much better already.

11 hives is a good bit of work, fair play. 

Thanks! I am selling several of them, actually. I keep bees in commercial hives, they are great as they has enough room in the brood box for the brood even at the height of summer. But commercials are less popular than the national hives, and it's more difficult to sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PEOFA

I had a quick look on Friday.

I didn't see the queen, she's not marked, but there was uncapped and capped brood, and some honey stores.

I added a super of frames on top to give them more room to expand over the next weeks. I think i will give them a feed of sugar/water syrup as well this week.

Advertisement