Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guideline 2023 price for detached garage / workshop per sqm

Options
  • 12-04-2023 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got voluntary redundancy from work with a decent lump sum, and I'd love to build something closer to my 'dream garage'.

The house (detached, D18) has a big garden and an existing 3x6.5m detached garage, built at the same time as the house, in 1991. One decent-sized wrinkle is that the GFCH boiler is in the garage, so knocking it down is low on my list of things to do.

The hope is to either extend it or add a second brick-built garage butting up to it, about 4-5m wide, 6-7m long, tiled roof, in keeping with the area and existing buildings. Car would live in current garage, facing the cul-de-sac, and new workshop would house the tools and workbenches etc, and have room to work on a car. Decent noise insulation would be good too.

I'd obviously need planning permission.

However, before I drop €3k on an architect and planning application, I'd like to figure out if there's any realistic chance of getting a garage built for €30-40k? I got a quote of €4k just to run proper electricity supply to the current one, the Sandyford Tax is a real thing, which growing up in D11 and moving here from Drimnagh pains me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Looking at house rebuild and extension costs, anything from €2,200 to €3,000 per sqm looks to be commonly quoted. I'd hope that a 'simple' garage wouldn't cost anything like that, but it does seem to be hard to get a read. And the other thing that crops up is 'will you find a builder to do it?'.

May end up having to do some sort of a design, and put it up on Tradesmen, see if it gets any traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

2200 -3000 is the cost of building a house, how is it possible that you've been quoted such a high price?

Out of curiosity which county do you live and what spec did you request?

Advertisement