If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Do I need planning permission to replace my front wall?

  • 12-04-2023 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

    Hi there, I live in a 1960s build house and the front wall and gate pillars are in need of work. The pillars in particular are quite unstable. I have received a quote to build a new wall - 700mm high - and replace the pillars. One of the pillars is being moved slightly to widen the narrow entrance. Will I need planning permission for this? Also getting my driveway tarmaced but I presume that’s ok?

    Thanks in advance for any advice!


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭whomadewho

    You are able widen a vehicular access to you drive up to a maximum of 3.8m. This will require planning.

    Since you are just rebuilding the wall with new Pillars with a slight widen, I would just go ahead and build it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Esho

    Yes, if you make any height changes, you are open to complaint.

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    Planning permission required to widen the vehicular entrance.