Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Guitar Lacquer. Potential Impact

Options
  • 11-04-2023 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Here's the story.

I picked up an early Taiwan Yamaha FG75 a good few years ago.

When I got it the lacquer on the back and sides had been removed and replaced with real bad varnish paint job, i mean real bad.

I got some shape into it and now use it for open blues tuning playing. It's built like a tank and holds its tuning forever. Currently not much depth in the sound, very boxy but quite fitting with open tuning, blues stuff.

BUT, The top kinda bugs me because it still has the original high gloss lacquer and I'd like it to look a bit distressed, I know that's all visual and its the sound that matters.

But what do you think might be the damage/change to the sound if I take the lacquer off and leave it bare wood?

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

difference in sound will be negligible.

though a lighter top with be bassier.

be careful not to sand off a load of the wood too....

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks Martin. What would be the options to remove the lacquer? Is there a liquid product/paint remover or only sand it down?

depends on the look you're after....

Paint stripper is BRUTAL stuff. It will leave residue and will look....... rough. Avoid if at all possible.

sand paper and a block of wood is your best bet.

dont go too deep into the wood, especially if its a laminate top.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Thanks Martin. Sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 audiobabble

Maybe wax it after... keep the damp out of it!

• Advertisement

Y'see here's a thing.......

Atmospheric damp?

wont make any difference because the moist air can still get at the inside of the instrument through the sound hole. (only the outsides of acoustics are varnished)

I WOULD suggest some new finish to stop any spills or grubby fingermarks making a permanent mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 audiobabble

ah.. silly me, didn't read closely enough... though it was electric!

Advertisement