Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underrated Irish group & album

Options
  • 11-04-2023 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Like to get opinions on this and maybe discover a few gems that have passed me by.

Some might think for example U2 are the most underrated band but maybe we can try keep it to bands and albums that are a bit less obvious. Reasons,arguments, info etc with you're nominations for both group and album would be a bonus

I'll kick off with my tuppence worth:

The Frank & Walters

Catching them live relatively recently made me dive deeper into their back catalogue then ever before. On the surface theyve catchy pop songs but so much depth to their lyrics. Plenty of great albums consistantly released since their breakthrough in very early 90s.Great live band and genuinely seem to bloody enjoying themselves on stage. Quality!

I've been reliable informed Radiohead supported them back in early days and Noel Gallaher was briefly their roadie???

( ps im not from Cork)

As for an album:

Not the greatest album ever released but definitely underated and worth a listen

Blink - Deep Inside The Sound of Saddness (2004)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I always think that The Pogues - 'Red Roses for Me' seems to have got lost behind the music couch.

Still one of my favourite albums to go to for a bit of a singalong and some foot-tapping when i have the house to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Group: Into Paradise

Our answer to Echo & The Bunnymen. Doomy, fragile & epic choruses. Second LP Churchtown is one of the greatest Irish albums ever. Produced by Adrian Borland of The Sound.

Their debut single The Blue Light EP got Single Of The Week in the NME back in May 1989. Reminds me of cramming for the Leaving. The first LP Under The Water reminds me of college days in WRTC.

After that they released two fine mini albums for Setanta - Down All The Days & For No One.

Album: Hothouse Flowers - Songs From The Rain

Third album, released 1993 when their ship had kinda sailed. Every track is a winner, really well-crafted & produced. The recording sessions were so productive that there's almost two more albums' worth of B-sides & live tracks scattered across the four singles (each one had a CD1 and CD2 as well as a 7").

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Kerbdog, fantastic band. Brilliant songs that still hold up to this day.

Saw them a few months ago in whelans and their music brought me right back to some happy memories from the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Skindive, self titled album is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Every time this comes up my answer is the same. The Stars of Heaven. For my money the best Irish band ever. Sacred Heart Hotel (a mini album really) and Speak Slowly are both great. I’ll also give a mention to Stephen Ryan’s post Stars band, The Revenants. Their debut album is also a damn fine piece of work. Their second album not quite as good, but it does contain possibly Stephens finest song, Scott Millar Said. A heartbreaking work of staggering genius, as someone once said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Frank & Walters and Pony Club a close second.

this record is sublime….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Blades…Raytown Revisited

This might be of interest....something I did during lockdown.

The word "lost" is very subjective. When it comes to talking about music, the designation of a track in such a way can really split opinions. Over the years, I have bought many Irish singles and albums and sometimes feel that - collectively - they can often be undersold or not fully celebrated in the way they should. Unlike the UK, the proper anthologising of our musical history seems incomplete and occasionally even inaccessible. So here are two compilations of Irish singles that I put together for my iTunes.

and

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Great list, a few I dont know & need to check out. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Agree with you here 100%. Every song on it is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

If you haven't already check out Pierce Turner, lyrically I'd put him as one of Irelands' finest lyricists/song writers.

I don't remember how to post up You Tube videos, put check out his original version of "Wicklow Hills", and taking you right up to date check out"Where It Should Be" from his 2022 album "Terrible Good".

The lyrics themselves are gorgeous.

"Where It Should Be"

Like my Da walking up that hill to the hospital

With his heart full of joie de vivre

Blue sky up above where it often is

But even further than normally

I assume the world will do a normal turn

And everything will be where it should be

Where his heart full of joie de vivre

Here in Tompkins Square where the hawks reside

In a tree that has lost its leaves

There are those who have come from so far away

To observe how the hawks proceed

The millennial's drift to the bicycle boom

Of a drunk who believed he'd be reprieved

Like his Da walking up that hill to the hospital.

With his heart full of joie de vivre.

It's a warm autumn night in New York town

And everybody has settled down

The moon was full a few days ago

Now it's passed, we're all a mite relieved

But sometimes when all fits where it should fall

I begin to address what could deceive

Blue sky up above where it often is

But even further than it's known to be

We assume the world will do a normal turn

And everything will be where it should be.

Post edited by Chauncey Gardner on

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Microdisney Crooked Mile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

The Blades: Last Man in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

That’s a great list.

Cry Before Dawn also have to go down as one of the most under rated bands.

witness for the world album constantly played loud in my car. Every song brilliant.

Last if the sun is my favourite from that album and of course Gone Forever (crimes of conscience ) is probably one of my favourite ever Irish songs.

Local heroes! Crimes Of Conscience is great; saw them lots between 1987 and 1990. Witness For The World was produced by Greg Ladanyi and while the songs were there, it all felt a little flat. As a result, Bob Kraushaar was brought in to beef up both Last Of The Sun and No Living Without You for their single releases - IMO both sound way better than the album versions. I remember the Last Of The Sun 7" being played at the St Mary's debs in the Five Counties Hotel, New Ross that September (1989) and the whole floor going mad to it - one of the those moments that stays with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

Band Kerbdog

Album Are we including Northern Irish, then I say Be Special by Joyrider.

Advertisement