Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get back into the tax system

Options
  • 11-04-2023 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am enquirying on behalf of my son. He worked part time until Christmas and resigned as hes a musician and wanted to put all his focus on this career. He was setting himself up as self employed and started the CRO application however he hit a complication as he doesnt have a public services card and our local area office has been operating elsewhere since covid. He ring continusouly to make an appointment but the pone is not answered. Anyway the long and short of it is that the music career isn't bringing in enough and now hes been totally out of the taxation system since January. Whats his best course of action. I advised him to call the tax office and pay the tax due on what hes earned so far. Ideally hes better to get a paye position but hes reluctant as wants to stay focussed on music. Is he entitled to sign on? Which I am sure he wont do either 🤷‍♀️

Basically hes been odd jobbing and playing in a paid band but its not enough. What the best approach to get back into the system. I might add that a few personal issues with a family illness hasnt helped and hes taken the eye off the ball.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Tow

He just gets a real job. I don't know what he is up to with the CRO, I hope he did not form a company. If he earns more than 5k in a year he registers for ROS and files a Form 11. If less than 5k he can declare the gigging money on myAccount.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement