Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrade from Win10 64-bit to 32-bit version?

Options
  • 08-04-2023 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a refurbished desktop from a trusted source who claim they are a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher.

It came with Win 10 Pro 64-bit version pre-installed but sadly no re-installation media was included.

Would it be legally permissible for me to downgrade to the 32-bit version, or even Win 7/8 if I wished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

license permits 32 or 64

Be aware that you might need to re-activate your Win, depend how it was installed/activated on your PC - ensure you have lic available/tied to your MS account

That would require "fresh install" , there is no direct downgrade path. Installation media is publicly available from MS official site , tool here. I think Win 7 and 8 no longer available from MS as no longer supported.

If don't mind - Why would you need 32 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭peking97

It's just I have some legacy games which require NTVDM which is packaged with the 32-bit version but not the 64-bit version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WhimsicalJape

I think a better solution would be to find the necessary 16-bit patches for your older software. I've done this myself with a few older DOS/Win95 games. Alternatively you could set up a 32-bit Windows 10/11 virtual machine. You can use it without activation but you lose out on customisation, which isn't that big of a deal IMO.

Advertisement