Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitlocker issue

Options
  • 08-04-2023 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, on Monday I was shutting down my hp pavilion windows 11 laptop and was prompted for a windows update, I chose to update and shut down, half way through I noticed an error msg and it said it can’t finish updating. Later on I opened it and was greeted with this screen..

I had to research what this was..

i bought laptop new in June 2021 and never installed or set this up.

this is a private device not a work/college one

ive been trying unsuccessfully to fix this all week and can’t find where the recovery key is stored, it’s not in my Microsoft account where it should be.

can anyone offer me a solution other than resetting and loosing all my data?

thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It should be stored on the Microsoft Account that is used to logon to the device. Could that be a different account to your Microsoft Account?

Did you set-up a different Microsoft Account 2 years ago when you installed it first maybe? Even if you have subsequently switched to using your Microsoft Account now, you might find it under that account.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/finding-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-in-windows-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6

This worked for me. I actually had a Microsoft account which I had no recollection of setting up. The video link guided me through the process of finding the key no hassle.

There were a few options in the support solution if that hadn't worked.

There are 48 numbers in the key.. so a lot of care needed when putting it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

got sorted guys, I had (like suggested) set up a different Microsoft account 2 years back, and the key was in there :)

thanks for reply’s

Advertisement