Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Smoke alarms power usage

Options
  • 07-04-2023 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

What kind of power usage should a wired smoke alarm use? I changed three of mine yesterday to nest and the power usage went from 75w to 15w, if they were using 75w it accounts for around 18€ per month of cost or am i confused

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Were they previously using some enormous transformer to step down to 12V or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not familiar with Nest but usage should be minimal with alarms- like you don't notice on your bill usage

Did you change from wired to wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

There's absolutely no way that a smoke alarm will consume 75W. Maybe 0.75W

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Agreed. These are low power devices. Even 15W sounds high as I would expect around 1W each. What brand were the old units?

What's the usual for these devices

You hear a lot of stories about vampire power and insane usage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

edit: misread the post and thought it was saying the Nests were the high consumer

Wired smoke alarms are the same tech inside them as battery powered ones that can do years on a single 9v zinc carbon battery - if they were pulling 15w each it has to have been going out as heat from a crap transformer inside them surely.

Nests will use more power than normal alarms as there's a lot more in them, and even then the battery versions use in the milliwatt range over their duty cycle - years on 4x1.5v Lithium AAAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭10-10-20

EI state most of theirs to be 0.75W.

Dave Jones covers it off well in his EEVBlog, it's down to bad power-supply design (still using bridge-rectifiers) giving bad pF:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't even think of power factor; that could be having a significant impact. Would need to know what the OP is using to measure consumption but a lot of consumer kit will measure apparent power I think? Pointlessly as that's not what consumers are charged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

I have a effergy monitor and took a reading before disconnecting and after connection, the Nest are wired versions

I would assume Effergy kit measures actual not apparent power, seems to suggest so anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

They measure current, with voltage based on a fixed selection by the user, so they measure an estimated kva/va/apparent power. Domestic premises are not charged for wattless units, although with smart meters now, it could be done. A nice possible stealth increase that could be, if there was many wattless units being used.

What would be be the usual background usage over 24 hrs

modems TVs on standby and the like

Would it be a kilowatt

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

Base use (loads of stuff on standby + fridge / freezer etc) in our household (6 people) is around 200W, which will include some (LED) lights etc according to the Zappi. So the thick end of 5kWh / day base load

Mine is ~250W according to the now available smart meter stats without a smart meter plan

That would be fridge, routers, NAS, various alarms (house, smoke, heat, monoxide), zigbee hub, nest, background charging of other kit.

Awaiting availability for the second house which just has fridge, zigbee, nest and a router. Wouldn't be surprised if my huge but newer fridge is better than the smaller but old kit there. Battery alarms and way less kit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Your huge new fridge will probably need more energy than your old smaller one, the most energy efficient ones are 16-20 cubic feet.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

That's 6 X AA. But yeah. They don't pull much at all. I swap out the batteries every 3 years or so. I'd guess whatever meter is being used to measure their usage isn't accurate at low levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

The effergy energy meter averages around 350w for fridge, routers, NAS, various alarms (house, smoke, heat, monoxide), hue hub, Google speakers x3, mesh wifi x 4, cctv cameras/dvr, trying to get it as low as possible with essentials still on

I thought monitoring every circuit was way overkill but it would come handy there on 2 threads

The random rcd trip you might be able to narrow down what was in use if anything

Also getting a huge electric bill should narrow down the problem there

Advertisement