Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our summer visitors 2023

Options
  • 04-04-2023 11:58pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was surprised that this thread hadn't started for 2023 yet, when I came along to record my first swallow sighting of the year!

This afternoon... one single swallow soaring about! Northeast Offaly. I think the earliest recording here before this was April 11th?

Heard a chiffchaff a couple of weeks ago too, and several times since.

How's everyone else doing on the sightings front?😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Got a Swallow last weekend while visiting the Battle of the Boyne site outside Drogheda. Sister in Kildare says the likes Chiffchaff, Blackcaps, Sand Martins etc, have arrived in force near Naas in the last 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Had a Chiffchaff in the garden last week and my first Swallow of the year today in North county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Quite a few swallows in East Clare over the last couple of days (first one seen by me on the 7th, but I was away for much of the preceding week). Noticeably earlier than the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Spotted my first swallow yesterday NW Donegal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently the swifts have reached Ireland and so with that in mind, I put up our second swift box yesterday along with a sound system. For the last few years, they have looked at the first nest box yet still chose to nest in the eaves once the feckin starlings leave (they're there again this year but I'd say that the young will be gone in a week or so).

• Advertisement

How does the old rhyme go..The cuckoo comes in early May? Heard my first one today bang on queue!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Sorry for the bad pics folks, they're just stills from a video of my dog out for his first swim of the year yesterday, but can anyone id the bird on the edge of the per?

Was thinking a cormorant, but this is very inland lake (Monaghan)

Think it's a Cormorant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I heard my first cuckoo of 2023 a little over a week ago, on April 25th! In woodlands around the bogs between Ballivor and Kinnegad.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

Cuckoo is here a week now and the swallows a week before that. West of Ireland

• Advertisement

Saw a few swifts flying around the Swords area yesterday.

Saw big numbers on a visit to Tipp last week in towns like Thurles and Templemore

After getting our swift boxes setup (moved one and added a second beside the hole in the eaves that they traditionally nest in plus a call system), there has been very little evidence of swifts here (Leixlip). They usually arrive around May 5th. Ten days later and pretty much nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

No swifts seen by me in my area either so far - much later than recent years. I did however see a hummingbird hawk moth in my un-mown wildflower area earlier. Probably my lack of knowledge, but didn’t expect to see one here as I’ve only seen them around the Mediterranean before now. Are they resident or some form of summer visitor?

Seemingly they migrate from southern Europe...

Our swifts arrived yesterday evening (yaay) and appear to be in our eaves again. Hopefully others will take one or other of the two nest boxes. Their arrival here is about ten days late (usually arriving here around May 5th)

Has anyone noticed less swallows this year? Nowhere near as many here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

I'm in Co Roscommon and there's been a lot of swallow activity around the house over the past few weeks

A bit more than last year - but that was the worst year I can remember😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

I see swallows have been sighted in Kerry yesterday going by the Wild Derrynane fb page, time for a new summer page!

I'm seeing sightings all over the country on IrishBirding.com (which also lists a few recent Swift sightings)…

https://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Hopefully Corncrakes any time now….

Advertisement