Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition Swimming...How to participate

Options
  • 04-04-2023 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

My ten year old has dropped a bit of a bombshell on me by informing me that she is enjoying swimming lessons so much she wants to swim competitively.

I assume that this is best done by joining a club. Is there a club for kids in Dublin that anyone could recommend? What's the best first step for a kid who wants to get involved?

I am aware of the time commitment for parents so I am hoping it's a fad, but I would at least like to give her a chance to try it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can get a list of swim clubs @ https://www.swimireland.ie/membership/find-a-club

Most clubs will expect some level of proficiency in front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke before you can join. It's not as simple of just joining a club and turning up.

It's important that the lessons your child is getting now are structured and work towards continuous improvement. A lot of lesson providers will use the Swim Ireland grading system to get your child from just putting their face in the water to being able to swim full lengths comfortably.

Clubs will have regular trials for new members when they have spaces available in their junior squads. I would find the clubs local to you and check out their websites / Facebook to get details on how to join / contact their Secretary for more details.

Best of luck, it's a great sport for a kid to get involved in.

Advertisement